Maui Diving w/o June 28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merxlin

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'll be in Maui the week of June 21. I can only squeeze in a couple dive days while there, and am staying up in Kahana. I've been out with Lahaina Divers a couple times to Molokini (backside twice) and 2 Lanai trips. I'd rather not get up at 0'dark-thirty to drive to Kihei for early morning boats, but would like to try some other op's and locations while there. I'm used to boat rides (2 1/2 hours is typical for rides to Catalina in pretty good swells) so that is not an issue. Any suggestions?

Also, I've heard that shore diving is harder now due to restricted parking. Is that true?

Mahalo for your advice.

BTW- if it helps: I bring my own reg, BC and computer, and am used to instabuddies if I have to. I do drag a camera along, so deep is not as important as new and interesting things to see.

Why don't you contact Shaka Doug and do some shore diving with him? He does dive out of the Kihei area, but I believe doesn't start until 9am, so you wouldn't have to get up too early to meet him.

Although I've never had the pleasure of diving with him, he consistently gets RAVE reviews from everyone who does.

Lahaina's diving Molokai on Tues. Hammerheads off Molokai

It's supposed to be a rough crossing so doing it on one of their big Newtons seems like the way to go.

Pacific Dive in Lahaina does shoredives in that area. They rent scooters for DM accompanied dives also. Just around the corner and up a short block on Dickinson from Lahaina Divers.

Another alternative to Lahaina Divers in that area is Extended Horizons. They get good reviews here.

Lahaina's diving Molokai on Tues. Hammerheads off Molokai

It's supposed to be a rough crossing so doing it on one of their big Newtons seems like the way to go.

Pacific Dive in Lahaina does shoredives in that area. They rent scooters for DM accompanied dives also. Just around the corner and up a short block on Dickinson from Lahaina Divers.

Another alternative to Lahaina Divers in that area is Extended Horizons. They get good reviews here.

Thanks Steve. Molokai sounds like a great trip and would be new for me. And what is considered "rough" there is not an issue. I've made the crossing to Catalina about 50 times, and 2 1/2 hours in 6-8ft cross swells on more than a couple of those.

Why don't you contact Shaka Doug and do some shore diving with him? He does dive out of the Kihei area, but I believe doesn't start until 9am, so you wouldn't have to get up too early to meet him.

Although I've never had the pleasure of diving with him, he consistently gets RAVE reviews from everyone who does.

Thanks DM. I think I do need to get to Kihei, and I like him and B&B for that.

I appreciate the suggestions, and look forward to warm water diving again.

So any suggestions from any locals?

Hello,

I just got back from Maui and we had a great time. Went diving with a boat company and then with Shaka Divers. I did the two tank twilight dive with Shaka Divers and it was absolutely AWESOME. Unfortunately my wife didn't go on those dive because they were the best dives I done in Hawaii and possibly the best anywhere.

It was Doug (Shaka) me and one other diver (Steve). Doug knows the area incredibly well and makes the experience more like your diving with your buddy's as opposed to just another dive company client. The price is a bargain for what you get. If you're serious about diving shoot Doug and Email and he will hook you up with local knowledge and sealife. When we go back, which will hopefully be soon we'll be diving again.

Shakadivers advertises on this website or google his company.

If you drop into Pacific Dive (across the street from Lahaina Divers on Dickenson) they have a buddy book - ask them if "Pops" is around to dive with - he has dove with several from Scubaboard and they just have a good time together (he's not a DM or staff there, just one of the regulars from their buddy book - not on Scubaboard either... yet) They also do guided shore dives there.

Have a great time and be sure to post a trip report when you get back :)

Aloha, Tim

Thanks guys. I think a trip to Molokai, a day with Shaka Doug and couple shore dives sounds great! Hopefully I'll have some pix to post in a few weeks.

Can't wait to dive warm water again, although we're back up over 60 degrees water temp here again, at least 'til you go deep.

mahalo!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom