Maui Diving -Trip Report - Aug 21- 28, 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sus9nr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well we just got back from our trip to Maui and we had a wonderful time. The weather was beautiful in the mid to upper 80's everyday which was great considering it was 105 in Austin. We were staying in Kahana which was very nice but it is north of Lahaina so there were limited Dive operations that did boat diving.

We decided to go with Lahaina divers even though some of the comments on this board said that they tended to be cattle boats. Although they tended to put more people on the boat, the boat was large enough to handle it. In fact the most we had was 18, the boat can handle 24, and it got a little tight when trying to gear up but they separated everyone into groups of 5 or 6 for the dive so it was not bad at all. It also made the trip out to Lanai and the Molokini Crater less brutal. The Staff was great Captain Dan was fun and entertaining. Rebecca the photographer was very helpful to try and identify things we saw.

Now for the Dives the first dives we did were at Mala Wharf. This could probably be done as a shore dive but you need to what out for boat traffic. We saw a white tip reef shark and it is amazing what a hurricane can do to a structure. It is a very shallow dive deepest points is 35 ft. It is a decent check out dive but was not that exciting.

The next day we were supposed to do the Back Wall at Molokini Crater and it got postponed until the following day because of engine trouble on the boat. I really enjoyed these dives. These are more advanced sites so if you are new to diving stick to the inside of the crater. The visibility was close to 200 ft. It was beautiful. Some of the people we were diving with ended up hanging out with spinner dolphins during their safety stop. Unfortunately we heard them but did not see them.

The last day of diving we went to Lanai. We dove Cathedrals I and Knob Hill. The visibility was again 200 ft or more. The structures at the Cathedrals is beautiful and when we enter there was another white tip reef shark in there he just swam a circle around us an left. The diving was great!

A couple of non-diving items. If you want to do a zip-line you will want to make your reservations before you go we wanted to try it but could not get a reservation once we arrived. Also you need to plan to see the volcano before you start diving because of the elevation. Same for any helicopter tours. We went to a great Luau called Feast at LeLe which is not the normal buffet and the food was wonderful, it is not necessarily for kids although there were a few there.

It was a wonderful trip and I was very happy with the service I got from Lahaina Divers.

Susan

Thanks for the report.

As a Maui guide/instructor I would like to talk about visibility.

Best visibility in the State of Hawaii is usually ranked; Ni'ihau, Molokini, Kona side of the Big Island (not always in that order). Those locations have little to no sand for the ocean swells to stir up.

In the last few years the marketing of those areas has been approaching 200' visibility claims. As we are in the driest decade ever recorded in these areas I am resigned to 200' being OK for a "best vis ever" at those sites conversation, but the honest operator/guide/instructor is going to only "pretty much guarantee better than 100' vis" for those locations.

I have worked for one of the Lanai charters since August of '08, and the Lanai dive sites are more adversely affected by ocean swells from the south, which happen in the summer. Even in the winter, when vis off most of Lanai is the best, Knob Hill vis would only very rarely be over 100' (I've never seen 100' vis there) and 1st Cathedral would never be over 80' (I've never seen 80' vis there).

AFAIU, when talking of visibility for diving, it is a horizontal distance. The distance one can see vertically (either up or down) is quite a bit more than the horizontal visibility at the same location.

I'm sorry to hear you weren't thrilled with the Mala Pier dive. It's one of my favorites. We have always seen sharks and often turtles, as well as nudibranchs, lizardfish, and big schools of various other species. I have a ton of fun swimming under various parts of the structure, too, and it makes for beautiful photographs if the viz is good.

On the other hand, my one trip out to the back wall left me completely underwhelmed, so it's clear that different folks like different dives, and one site can be different from day to day!

I have to agree with TSandM about Mala and the Backwall. The Backwall is my least favorite dive anywhere in Maui or Lanai, and Mala has always been one of my favorites for the amount of creatures and marine life we've always found there.

I have to say that we were probably very lucky with the Back Wall dive as the weather was perfect. This being a drift dive and they were going over all these procedures about getting back on the boat because it can be rough. The water was so smooth it was like getting on a oat that was moored. We saw a Frog fish and numerous nudibranchs on the back wall dive. I was actually surprised at Mala but maybe it was because we went in the afternoon I end to like looking for all the little animals but the visibility was just ok and we did not see much we actually saw more snorkeling off of Black rock.

That definitely happens at Mala. The bottom line for me is that sites change day to day and just because I've had great dives at a certain site, doesn't mean you will, and vice versa.

When you go back to Maui, take the time to drive down to Kihei and catch a charter down there. In addition to Molokini, they also do S. Maui sites that are fantastic. We used to dive with Lahaina Divers, but now feel the early morning start and drive to Kihei is worth every second for the fantastic diving we do in S. Maui.

aw, really? Admit that a bad day at Mala wharf has gotta beat the hell outta Lake Travis on a good day.

LOL you know it I only dive in Lake Travis to make sure my equipment is functioning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom