maui dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ruffsketch

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone!

My wife and I returned from a trip to Maui on the 13th of May. While there we got our AOW certs. and had a great time.

We did our Peak Bouyancy at Keawakapu beach with Charley who was our instructor for everything except Deep and Photog.. keawakapu has a nice sandy bottom and pretty good vis. We also did our Nav. dive there and since we spent most of our time on the sandy area away from any structure we didn't see much except for a large turtle that swam by while doing the Nav. dive. The night dive was at Ulua which has a nice reef and lots of critters. The vis. was not good though. I don't know why there was so much sediment in the water. We did see a large frog fish though. David was our instructor for the Deep dive and the Photog. dive which we did at Molokini. Both instructors were very good especially Charley who has unending patience and a great sense of humor!

We also did three days of two tank dives with Mike Severns diving. I know now why they are so highly recomemded! Andy was the boat captain for two of the days and Pauline filled in one one day. Warren was our DM all three days and was wonderful about expaining about the things we would be seeing and answering any questions we might have. He was also amazing at finding even the smallest of critters.

We started out each day with a dive at Molokini and then went someplace else for the second dive. The first day we went to a landing craft after the Molokini dive and the highlights there were a leaf scorpion fish and a lion fish hiding in some staghorn coral. There were also eels and a variety of trapical fish. The second day we went to North Nahuna for the second dive and saw a turtle cleaning station with 12-15 large turtles. Also on that dive Warren pointed out to me my first Harlequin Shrimp! It was only about 3/4" long and hiding in some staghorn coral but was beautiful none the less! The third day we went to the wreck of St Anthony for our second dive. Right next to the wreck is a artificial reef made of tires set in concrete. Lots of fish and critters to see there!

We did one shore dive at Ulua after that and went out to a turtle cleaning station. for the rest of the afternoon there we snorkled and saw eels, Morish Idols, several small octopi and all the other tropical fish one would exptect.

I highly recommend both dive ops! Mike Severns doesn't have a shop (you just meet them at the boat ramp) but they are wonderful to deal with and you are well treated and well educated while with them. Warrens knowledge of the sea life was incredible.

Maui Dreams were wonderful to deal with both on the phone and in person. If I remimber right they rent tanks for $5.00! They also are perfectly willing to share their knowledge of good dive spots with you if you are shore diving. Both places came very highly recomended and I can see why! I'll definately be giving them both my business on our nest trip.

Bob

Thanks for sharing your experience. Good choice of Maui Dreams. I found them to be very friendly on my last trip there. I plan to see them again soon.

Were there many people diving ? I heard that the tourist count is way down and a lot of dive operations were hurting for business. I have a friend that just returned from Grand Cayman and he said the place was dead. Unlike past years the only time the island seemed crowded was when a cruise shipped docked ( he counted 5 at one time due to them avoiding Mexico because of the flu ). I dove hawaii 3 years ago and loved it but talking to people they said business is off by 1/3 to 1/2 this year.

Glad you had a good time. I really like the Mike Severns operation, too. Very knowledgeable critter people.

On most of the days there were just six of us on the boat dives. One day it was just my wife and I. There seemed to be plenty of people on the beaches and snorkling but I sure wouldn't say it was over crowded! The day it was just my wife and I there was supposed to be another guy but he over slept and missed the boat (they waited for about 40 minutes for him before he called). He joined us the next day. I was kind of curious if they gave him credit for the day he missed or if he was charged for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom