Maui dive questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wyatt2323

Registered
Reaction score
Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA (formerly Baton Rouge.
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I plan on diving in Maui in May. We were wondering if anyone had any thoughts or experience diving Molokini Crater. We have snorkelled there before, but were wondering if a dive there would be a good experience and who is the best dive company to go with?

Also, just a question out of curiosity, if we were evr lucky enough to see a Tiger Shark at a distance, would it be a bad idea to try and get a photo using a flash.

Thanks in advance.

There are some recent posts on this topic. Where are you staying? Molokini is a shorter boat ride from Kihei vs. Lahaina so I highly recommend making the drive to Kihei early in the morning. Many folks here recommend B&B. I also like Ed Robinson's and have had a positive experience with them each time I've been out with them.
If you have snorkeled molokini you have seen the great visibility from the surface. Diving there provides the same excellent visibility. There are numerous dive sites at molokini and depending on what you are looking for you can probably find it, but it would be best to discuss with your dive operator to see where they might be going that day. If you are looking to dive the back wall, you will definitely want to make sure your dive op will go there. Maui Dive Shop offers a trip specifically to the back wall if you are looking for that. I'm not a big fan of Maui Dive shop, but others may feel differently.
Again, do a search on scubaboard and you'll find lots of info on Molokini diving.

Enjoy your trip.

Pretty much all the boat dive operators go to Molokini (except Extended Horizons), so you can easily pick and choose. Your previous dive experience may be the best place to start in choosing, and honestly if you have 0-25 dives, I'd go with an operator like B&B. They do a great job with beginners (as well as experienced divers) and will show you all the cool stuff at Molokini and any other site they go to.

Personally, I'd go with an operator that chooses the dive sites based on the conditions that day, rather than their posted schedule. There are many days when there's a far better choice of site than the backwall (for instance), and the dive experience is better by going there. I wouldn't want an operator to feel obligated to do a site based on their schedule, even when conditions aren't that great.

My operator of choice is Ed Robinson's, however I don't see them as the best choice for a newer or less experienced diver. They really cater to the more experienced diver and their dives are geared for that.

FYI: according to my friend that works at Maui Dive Shop, they're no longer offering the scheduled Backwall trip.

Besides -- if your profile is correct (0-24 dives), you have no business diving the backwall anyway, and any shop that would take you there should be avoided at all costs! Their goal is obviously to fill the boat, not dive safely and provide good experiences.

Also, just a question out of curiosity, if we were evr lucky enough to see a Tiger Shark at a distance, would it be a bad idea to try and get a photo using a flash.
I doubt very much you'll see one at Molokini. They are occasionally seen at Olawalu.

I have seen sharks (non-Tiger) "twitch" when an off-camera flash goes off nearby - it messes with their sensory organs - possibly leading to a up-close investigation of who caused it...lol.

You can get a shot of them thru the glass at the Maui Ocean Center. Or dive with them there.

FYI: according to my friend that works at Maui Dive Shop, they're no longer offering the scheduled Backwall trip.

Besides -- if your profile is correct (0-24 dives), you have no business diving the backwall anyway, and any shop that would take you there should be avoided at all costs! Their goal is obviously to fill the boat, not dive safely and provide good experiences.

Yep, I guess I should have checked their web site before babbling here in the forum. Does MDS not run a dive boat out of Kihei? I only see reference to a snorkel boat from Kihei and their dive boat out of Maalea.
Thanks for the correction...

Wyatt,
If you are considering Ed Robinsons and your profile of 0-24 dives is correct, I would NOT recommend the 3 tank trip as that tends to be pretty advanced and fairly aggressive dive profiles. Be sure to discuss your level of experience and comfort with the dive op when you call to book your diving so that you are comfortable with the trip they plan that day.
Don't forget there is lots of great shore diving in the Kihei/Wailea/south Maui area so you don't have to shell out a lot of cash for boat dives for all of your diving. I certainly like to get some molokini diving in while I am there, but there's lots to do right from shore.
Maui Dreams Dive Company in Kihei can provide you with some guidance and reasonably priced tank rentals too.
One of my favorite sites is Ulua Beach in Wailea - a nice easy shore dive with nearby parking and nice colorful reef. If you don't have a buddy, try posting here on SB when you are on Maui and you might find someone here to dive with...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom