Maui Deer sighting/death shark sighting/beach closing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSeanMaui

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+2]"Shark sighting closes Maui beach for 2 hours[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana][SIZE=-2]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1] KIHEI, Maui — County ocean safety staff closed Keawakapu Beach on the south side of Maui at 1:45 p.m. today after a 10-foot shark was spotted feeding on a deer carcass.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]The beach was reopened at 3:30 p.m. after the carcass was removed from the water, said county spokeswoman Mahina Martin.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]The type of shark could not be identified.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]Keawakapu was the site of a May 7 shark attack in which a 63-year-old California woman was bitten on the right leg while snorkeling about 25 yards from shore."[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]I live off the Blue golf course and yesterday I saw a herd of deer running down the street and then down the golf course yesterday to the ocean. I guess one of these deer died....I did get a photo and a little video... Halemano posted about trying to rescue a deer about 1 month ago... I wonder why the deer run down to the ocean? Maybe it's so dry they are looking for water? Very sad especially since they are drawing in the sharks.....
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]
deer.jpg
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Check out my Maui dive reports and photos at my blog.

I don't think they're drawing in the sharks -- those sharks are already there, we just don't usually see them.

I heard this was a tiger from the Blue Water Rafting guys that saw it up close & personal after dropping their guests off at the dock.

I don't know what makes the deer seek the ocean. I know that in the winter time on the mainland, the deer and moose find their ways to the roadside to lick the salt (used as de-icing agent)... maybe it's a similar reason for them to crave salt water?

I don't think they intend on going swimming... the situations I've heard of have been when they're stumbling through rocky coral-encrusted outcroppings after having been spooked, then hurt themselves... and end up in deep water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom