Maui and Kauai in June . . . ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaHel

Registered
Reaction score
With so many sites, what to do? I hope all of you can provide some advice.

We plan on diving 6 days (3 Maui/3 Kauai). Ive been to Maui and did the inside of Molokini, not that much to rave about, but maybe thats just my opinion. It was one of my first dives after getting certified. Since I live in South Florida Ive done a little diving in the Keys and that was way more exciting have to say.

We're interested in going to Lanai and doing the Cathedrals, and doing a night dive on one of the islands. Theres just so much to do that im overwhelmed. Shore dives, boat dives, different spots, different dive charters???

:huh: Can you give me some wisdom?

Thanks!
ScubaHel

If you do the backwall of Molokini go with a Kihei operation like B&B to save you tons of time on the boat. If you do the Cathedrals go out of Lahaina.

Go to www.shorediving.com for shore dives on Maui.

If you are going to hit Molokini - the BACK WALL IS AWESOME! The inner reef system can be very exciting especially a little deeper with an experienced guide who knows where the whitetips are hiding - and depending on your experience - GARDEN EELS! Molokini can have some of the very best vis that Hawaii has to offer.

For Lanai... I agree in part with Cathedrals - BUT... Try to hit Second Cathedrals rather than first. Ed Robinsons does this trip once a week I believe. It's a longer trip from Kihei to Lanai (rather than Lahaina to Lanai) but WELL worth it. Ed's guide's are GREAT and very into marinelife and ecology. A few extra bumps on the water will be worth the quality of service and leadership you get.

Second Cath. has far more critters and is much more extensive in terms of the lava formations. First C. does have (or did a couple years ago) a Giant Moray and a resident viper moray which where awesome to see. The back side of Lanai at Sharkfin reef or Lighthouse are the best dives I feel (or were when I lead dives there a couple of years ago). Ask if there is a chance of hitting those spots when you book. Be pushy - YOU ARE THE CUSTOMER RIGHT! Monolyth is another awesome dive there - though deeper. A resident Yellowmargin Moray will great you underwater!

Hope this helps a bit...
good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom