Matuse wetsuit help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xitesmai

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was thinking about acquiring a 3/2 Matuse wetsuit. I know these suits are normally for surfing, but was hoping to get some info about how they would hold up for diving.

My diving ranges from VA to the Caribbean, with wreck diving off of NC.

Also sizing is an issue, Matuse tends to run small, and for NC a 3/2 is alittle light, so I was going to augment with a lavacore shirt.

But I didnt want the suit to be too large.

I'm 5'4" and stocky at 138 lbs... so I dont really fit the sizing profile.

Would a MS be too large?

Help please..

I looked into them awhile back and was thinking about getting one as well but decided it just wasn't worth the price tag. The problem with surfing wetsuits is they generally use a neoprene that does not hold up to the repetitive crushing at depth like diving neoprene does. I bought a pretty nice O'neill 3/2 surf wetsuit for teaching in the pool so it can take the abuse from the chlorine and I now wear a Fourth Element Proteus 3mm and 5mm depending on conditions in the sea. When the O'neill was brand new I went down to Roatan with it and did 30 dives over the course of a month long vacation. By the end of the month it was closer to a 2/1 than a 3/2. It would suck to have that happen to a $500 suit. As far as sizing, you'll probably have to talk to a dealer or actually try one on. Wetsuits are finnicky like that. But for the price tag I would hope the company is as accommodating as possible with a return due to sizing issues. Don't know if it makes a difference but the Fourth Element stuff is top quality and falls into the same price range you're looking at. Good luck.

Thanks for the info.

After some more info I have narrowed it down to the following.

Aqualungs Solafx 5mm or Fourth Elements Proteus 5mm.

Can anyone offer any opinions or experiences with either of these?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom