Math question: probability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nkw5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can you help me understand this kind of problem?

If no digit appears more than once, how many 3-digit numbers can be formed from the digits 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9?

I know the answer is 210. I can find the answer long hand (figure out each digit can make 30 3-digit numbers and then multiply by 7). I also know that 5x6x7 gets the answer; don't know why. Maybe that there are 7 numbers and if I use 3 numbers (same as the digits) counting backwards (7,6,5) and then multiply them I'll get the answer. I know this works for any similar problem, but I can't explain why.

is this a DIR admission test?

OK, How many choices do you have for the first digit? You have 7 ways to chose the first digit.

With that first digit gone, how many ways can you chose the 2nd digit? There are 6.

Now, with 2 digits gone, there are 5 digits left to chose the third digit.

Therefore, 7 x 6 x 5.

awap:
OK, How many choices do you have for the first digit? You have 7 ways to chose the first digit.

With that first digit gone, how many ways can you chose the 2nd digit? There are 6.

Therefore, 7 x 6 x 5.
Beat me to it! Good job :)
Rick

awap:

Therefore, 7 x 6 x 5.

Thank you! I think I was almost there. Now I can sleep knowing I can explain it tomorrow to a 6th grader who is better at math than I am. (Don't tell her I said that; I'm suppose to be her teacher.)

H2Andy, you crack me up.:D

If you want to assign him some reading, the subject would be permutations, combinations, and factorial.

The problem you described is the permutation of 3 things out of 7.

7 factorial divided by (7-3) factorial.

Back
Top Bottom