Matching regs on doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no need to match anything, any good pair of regulators will do the job. If you are unsure of their performance at the intended depth you plan to dive, have them verifed using a flow bench to ensure cracking pressure, breathing effort and all the other good characteristics are up to snuff for the job.

Then, go out and dive!

Independent doubles with a 40 of backup bottom mix and of oxygen.

Probably not the approach the OP was looking for info about here on the DIR forum...

:cool2:

Probably not the approach the OP was looking for info about here on the DIR forum...

:cool2:
Sorry ... I should have checked the forum before responding.

Well there's a huge difference between mandated and preferable, and I think many have answered the question on the latter. I've looked through the GUE/UTD equipment configuration pages and standards manuals and can't find anything that suggests first stages be the same. I see a lot of Apeks and Scubapro regs on doubles (including some mismatches) but I don't know of any collective preference for one brand over another that's not a regional thing (Apeks may be cheaper in the UK, etc.).
OK, so I'll take your word for it since you are way more knowledgeable about GUE protocol than I am (which is zilch).
I guess then the info I obtained from sources was slightly incorrect and probably taken upon ones self to upgrade it from "Preferable" to "Mandated".

In other words they were blowing smoke up a certain orifice of mine, and there really isn't such a hard fast rule. Perhaps only in the minds of a few egocentrics that love to create and impose hard rules and tend to let people know about them wether they want to hear them or not.

Gotcha, thanks

out

I dont think its a mandate but more of a common sense thing . same regs mean one parts kit for a first and second stage so less parts to cart around and less tools usaly if you see guys that team up allot they will have similar regs for this reason .

Only time we used diffrent regs on our back gas was when we did extremly cold water dives ie ice diving were scubapro mk20/25 would freeze solid . we would put a poseidon jet stream on our left post since they never froze (not dir ) but now i have ditched the mk20's for atomics i have not had to do that in a long time

Mismatching first stages is a clear cut Rule 6 violation. Other than that, go for it.

Tom

Only time we used diffrent regs on our back gas was when we did extremly cold water dives ie ice diving were scubapro mk20/25 would freeze solid . we would put a poseidon jet stream on our left post since they never froze (not dir ) but now i have ditched the mk20's for atomics i have not had to do that in a long time

Seems like it was at the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom