Matching Algos on Oceanics and Suunto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Tmac. That is getting me there. It was tweaking the conservative factor etc... That I was looking for specific guidance. Wondering if anyone has attepted to match up the two computers. What settings did they adjust and how much adjustment was made.

I may still get the suunto and do as you said. Polly go to the PZ+ on the oceanic. I guess I will have to report back with my findings.

Thanks.

Sorry. Never tried it. Tried diving with two very mismatched computers before, though, and don't recommend that. Not familiar with the Zoop, but with the Gekko, you could only make it more conervative. Again, just based on a suspicion and no specific knowledge, I think you will be diving to the Zoop, meaning you will probably have tweak down the Oceanic. Just make sure that's what you want. The higher end Suuntos are more flexible, but then your cost is going up too. Happy tweaking.

Download a program called 'V-Planner'.....30 day free trial.......Don't worrying about which computer does what, how conservative/liberal they are or whether they coincide......W/V-Planner you can get real conservative, real radical or any thing in-between.......Get a wrist slate and use your computer to compare, not rely on.......

I am gonna try this in on the Oceanic sub forum to see if I can get a response from the manufacturer.

Come on over and have a look if you are interested.

You people are making mountains out of mole hills.

First of all, your computer isn't going to "die" on you unless you neglect it or abuse it (not changing out batteries annually or leave it on the deck and it gets stepped on, sat on).

Secondly the NDL times are within a few minutes of each other for recreational diving regardless of whatever algorithms the computers use.

Thirdly, you want to be safe? Don't suck the NDL bottom time up. Leave a few minutes to spare. When you push the NDL limit, it increases your chances of getting the bend. Just because the computer says that you're on the good side of the NDL it doesn't mean that your body feels the same way.

I might disagree to some of fnfalman's comments.
- For whatever cause, failed computer did happens, I've seen it myself. Since then I decided to have backup computer.
- The NDL times between different computer surely just few minutes apart, but when we have a week consecutive dives..the NDL time difference is become more and more (personal experience).
- Agree, the best practice is to stay away from pushing the NDL...give some minutes gap, and move shallower.

I've had a Suunto Cobra for several years and picked up a Geo 2.0 as a backup a couple of years ago. I've been diving with them both and checking both so I can give you an idea. My Cobra is set to standard settings, standard conservative factor; Geo is set to PZ+ with standard settings. On air or Nitrox, the Suunto is always more conservative on NDL. The Suunto shortens repetitive dives faster than the Geo in most cases. I've had the Suunto go into deco and set long safety stops when the Geo says have have a few minutes of NDL remaining with a standard safety stop. Also, the Suunto is sensetive to staying between 10-20 ft on safety stops or it stops counting down. The Geo starts counting at 20 ft. and keeps counting even if I drop down to 22. If I dive by the Geo only, the Suunto could lock me out due to violations, severely shorten my repetitive dives, or at least require much longer safety stops. If I follow the Suunto on my dives, then the Geo always says I'm well within limits. I'm looking at dropping the Cobra and buying an Oceanic OCi for my primary and keeping the Geo as my backup.

fyi, this thread was so 5 years ago...

I dive an HP100 on nitrox. Usually 30-32. Dives typically around 75-85 ft. Dive 1 my suunto and my scubapro are about the same. After a 1 hour SI (what we do in NC), on dive 2 the scubapro gives about 10-15 minutes more NDL. Even then the second dive is often NDL limited. First dive is sometimes NDL limited. Suunto is also slower about giving you time as you start ascending.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom