Master Liveabord Fuel surcharge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That’s a good idea, it’s the same cost as nitrox so that would work, about to see how reasonable they are
Is NITROX extra? If so ask for it to be waived. Ask for a $200 bar credit. Basically instead of asking for a refund for what you have already paid ask for additional "services" that you would be charged for while on board.
Small update……. I asked about nitrox and got the same standard reply
“As I can do nothing at this moment regarding the Fuel Surcharge, I will pend this email until 30 days before your cruise date to check for the current Fuel price and situation and will keep you updated on it.

Please try to not worry about it so much, we will keep you updated for sure.”

I get the feeling they are running the clock down, as someone said earlier to a time when I’d have no choice but to pay

I get the feeling they are running the clock down, as someone said earlier to a time when I’d have no choice but to pay
Up date probably read like this:
Regret to inform you.........or else we have to assume you have decided to forfeit the trip.

Small update……. I asked about nitrox and got the same standard reply
“As I can do nothing at this moment regarding the Fuel Surcharge, I will pend this email until 30 days before your cruise date to check for the current Fuel price and situation and will keep you updated on it.

Do you want to go?

If you do "try not worry about it so much".

In the past, on other boats, in another oceans, I've received free nitrox and/or a piece from the boat's silver jewelry collection. I was satisfied.

You can always write a truthful and accurate review of their business practices upon trips completion. Me personally, if there was a way out, like even paying a cancelation fee I would not want to do business with them. If I were trip shopping and read your review that would be enough to keep me looking for another vendor.

I raised the issue as I feel it’s unfair to ask more from me stating costs have risen yet the new booking price has fallen considerably. It’s clear that there Is enough profit in my booking to cover the additional charge and the costs going up haven’t impacted the supplier for my booking or they wouldn’t be offering it at so much less now.

Do you want to go?

If you do "try not worry about it so much".
Good advice. I, too, scrutinize offerings trying to wring good value from my cost, and it's frustrating to miss a big sale (which is why I caution people looking at Aggressor liveaboards that at least pre-pandemic there tended to be a big once yearly sales, and there are those Dive The World specials) or run afoul of unanticipated charges. But what drove the lesson home for me years ago was haggling (which I despise) over a car purchase.

In a nutshell, if the fight gets too intense and you are too invested in it, then even if you win to some extent, the stress, aggravation and 'bad blood' will outweigh the value of your gains. Best case scenario you get a pyrrhic victory, and probably not even that. Scared Silly's suggestion to request free nitrox or a bar credit was good one.

It a loosely analogous way, I approach trip planning like the adage 'Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe.' Research meticulously, book carefully, go with the flow.

Fuel surcharges may be a broader issue than Master Fleet. For comparison I went to Explorer Venture's website under their Turks & Caicos offering, FAQs, 'Are there any onboard charges,' and look at this:

Though all meals (except Friday’s dinner), beverages, and much more has been taken care of with your trip payment, there are additional items which you may charge to your on-board bill. These include:
  • Hotel Tax: US$95 per person
  • Departure tax
  • Fuel Surcharge: US$150 per person
  • Crew gratuities

Then I went to Aggressor Fleet's website; it used to be refreshingly pleasant to navigate for info., with great easily found 'Know Before You Go' pages for destinations. Today I found it much less intuitive to find what I wanted. Finally, for Belize, under Belize Travel Information, I found:

Local Fees/Taxes​

Each guest must pay a $130 USD port fee (7 nights) and $185 (10 nights), includes cruising tax & park fee at the end of the charter when settling your bill.
Starting April 1, 2022 a fuel surcharge of $150 pp (7-nights) or $215 (10-nights) will be added.
These may be paid by Visa, MC, USD or BZ cash. Travelers checks are not accepted onboard. Taxes and fees paid onboard the yacht are subject to change without notice.

So I went to AllStarLiveaboards website and dug into their AquaCat and BlackBeards pages. I couldn't find anything about fuel surcharges (but that AquaCat Bahamas port fee bites!).

It's my impression the fuel surcharge approach lets a company list a lower, more attractive trip price, which masks the higher final price (let's not forget port fees, one place mentioned a 'hotel tax,' crew tips, etc...).

Charge what ever they like but let it be known in the beginning not after receiving deposit.

Now I know which one to avoid.

i do feel this would be mean, but the naughty side of me had a day dream about leaving a letter as tip advising I’d paid it to the head office and to speak to them 😂

in seriousness, in one of my conversations I pointed out we all experience raising costs and the money they want from me has to come from somewhere and that is the obvious place. They didnt respond, which made me feel bad for their staff.
I just did a trip with Masters… please do not take the money from the crew tip. They work their butts off making sure the guests are having a great time… you shouldn’t punish them for the decisions that Master is making. I agree the way the company is handling the situation is rather sketchy and annoying but don’t punish crew as they are not involved

Good advice. I, too, scrutinize offerings trying to wring good value from my cost, and it's frustrating to miss a big sale (which is why I caution people looking at Aggressor liveaboards that at least pre-pandemic there tended to be a big once yearly sales, and there are those Dive The World specials) or run afoul of unanticipated charges. But what drove the lesson home for me years ago was haggling (which I despise) over a car purchase.

In a nutshell, if the fight gets too intense and you are too invested in it, then even if you win to some extent, the stress, aggravation and 'bad blood' will outweigh the value of your gains. Best case scenario you get a pyrrhic victory, and probably not even that. Scared Silly's suggestion to request free nitrox or a bar credit was good one.

It a loosely analogous way, I approach trip planning like the adage 'Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe.' Research meticulously, book carefully, go with the flow.

Fuel surcharges may be a broader issue than Master Fleet. For comparison I went to Explorer Venture's website under their Turks & Caicos offering, FAQs, 'Are there any onboard charges,' and look at this:

Though all meals (except Friday’s dinner), beverages, and much more has been taken care of with your trip payment, there are additional items which you may charge to your on-board bill. These include:
  • Hotel Tax: US$95 per person
  • Departure tax
  • Fuel Surcharge: US$150 per person
  • Crew gratuities

Then I went to Aggressor Fleet's website; it used to be refreshingly pleasant to navigate for info., with great easily found 'Know Before You Go' pages for destinations. Today I found it much less intuitive to find what I wanted. Finally, for Belize, under Belize Travel Information, I found:

Local Fees/Taxes​

Each guest must pay a $130 USD port fee (7 nights) and $185 (10 nights), includes cruising tax & park fee at the end of the charter when settling your bill.
Starting April 1, 2022 a fuel surcharge of $150 pp (7-nights) or $215 (10-nights) will be added.
These may be paid by Visa, MC, USD or BZ cash. Travelers checks are not accepted onboard. Taxes and fees paid onboard the yacht are subject to change without notice.

So I went to AllStarLiveaboards website and dug into their AquaCat and BlackBeards pages. I couldn't find anything about fuel surcharges (but that AquaCat Bahamas port fee bites!).

It's my impression the fuel surcharge approach lets a company list a lower, more attractive trip price, which masks the higher final price (let's not forget port fees, one place mentioned a 'hotel tax,' crew tips, etc...).

Price of fuel in Belize has always been ridiculously high. I wonder if they've even really noticed a significant price change

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom