Master Diver or Divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You also have to think outside the agency box. Some "master diver" certs are just a recognition that you did something else. There are also "Master Diver" courses that are an actual course unto themselves. And they have more material than OW instructors get in some cases. They do refine your skills in a realisitic way and increase your knowledge. Not Marcel Marceu style skills and parroting pages from a book.

You also have to think outside the agency box. Some "master diver" certs are just a recognition that you did something else. There are also "Master Diver" courses that are an actual course unto themselves. And they have more material than OW instructors get in some cases. They do refine your skills in a realisitic way and increase your knowledge. Not Marcel Marceu style skills and parroting pages from a book.

I stand corrected.

I have done both PADI Divemaster and PADI Master Scuba Diver, the latter being recognition of completing 5 PADI specialties.

I have to disagree with TS and M. I believe divemaster training will do mroe to advance your diving skills, especially for competent diving while task loaded, than any combination leading to master scuba diver. In addition the dive theory that is learned in the DM programs is essential to anyone who will "living underwater" so to speak. I endorse DM training for niocstyr, but not immeditaely. Go pick up at least another 25 dives, plus a rescue class, and then you will be ready to start Dm training.
DivemasterDennis
I learned a lot from studying and practicing for my Divemaster class, too. However, I can't help but wonder if Intro Tech or another Tech type of class might be better preparation to advance the OP. I think the most important thing is hours underwater. GUE Fundies would be nice,too.

The PADI Master Diver always seem contrived to me that is just another card. The DM thing (which I have not done) does seem to increase your situational awareness and managing other divers which might be useful if you think diving will be part of your work in marine conservation. That is a long stretch though, a lot of work, and will not pay off financially. If it was me and I had 8-12 months to travel, I would consider TS&M's post. I would dive until I grew gills, take a few classes enjoying the ride while it lasted before resuming your studies rather than spend all the time on another credential.

I learned a lot from studying and practicing for my Divemaster class, too. However, I can't help but wonder if Intro Tech or another Tech type of class might be better preparation to advance the OP. I think the most important thing is hours underwater. GUE Fundies would be nice,too.
I agree. All tech agencies have introductory courses that teach roughly the same skills. GUE Fundies was originally a kind of intro to cave diving course, with the same purpose. Those skills will truly make you a better diver.

The PADI Master Diver always seem contrived to me that is just another card.
The problem is due to changes over time. In original scuba instruction, there were essentially 2 certifications--diver and instructor. Then the diver certification was broken down into several levels, and then some specialties were added. When the PADI Master Diver certification was created, there weren't much more than 5 specialties. A diver who completed 5 specialties had pretty much exhausted the training possibilities.

We are in another world now. There are many more choices, and there are frankly too many specialties that can be counted toward that certification. You can take 5 pretty lame specialties, or you can take 5 excellent specialties. I had a case in which a long time diver wanted to do a special project in a National Park that required special diving skills. The Park administration said he could not do it without the Master Diver certification. I worked with him over a number of months on 5 very worthwhile specialties and a lot of dives. He now has the certification, and his skills have improved significantly. It can be worthwhile, but it was the specific chosen specialties that provided the training, not the certification.

I agree with dive a lot at first. Some marine science programs like you to be trained at least through Rescue if you are diving.

I have to agree with those who say focus on experience over more training. I recently completed my DM, and I'm glad I did it, for my own reasons. But I was also kind of disappointed. I did not feel like I learned anything significant; it was more of a confirmation that I know my stuff. At the end I basically thought, wow I really know the contents of OW really well now! Because it was kind of like doing OW all over again.

DM does not make you a better diver IMO. You should already be knowledgeable, competent, and comfortable in the water before even starting the training. One member of my class freaked out in the pool, bolted to the surface, and to my knowledge has not been in the water again since. That person was not ready for DM training, and the class apparently did not help.

I like to think I'm an excellent scuba diver (don't we all?), but I attribute this much less to the formal training I've had and more to having done hundreds of dives in varying locations and conditions, and having been forced to confront and solve numerous problems along the way. I also credit my various dive buddies and dive pros I've met along the way who shared their knowledge with me, as well as years of reading ScubaBoard, Alert Diver, and other sources on the topic of diving.

I would encourage you to at least complete the Rescue course though. The training is enough of a challenge that it gives you a nice sense of accomplishment and added confidence once you have completed it.

Jim, which courses would you recommend/suggest then?

NAUI and SEI both have Master Diver courses that impart instructor level knowledge and skills without the teaching component so the focus is on actual diving skills. Not demonstration of them. They cover hyperbaric procedures, deco procedures, and skin diving skills.

I'd also recommend a tailored Intro to Tech, GUE Fundies or equivalent, CMAS 4 star or BSAC equivalent. Strongly recommend the SDI Solo course.

I'd also look to take some tech course over Intro. Either Helitrox, Adv Nitrox/Deco, Extended Range, Advanced Wreck, Cavern and Intro to Cave, etc. All of these will work on skills in a real world type way.

I agree with all that say get more experience first.

PADI Master Diver: IMO depends on which specialties you take, and needless to say, the instructor(s). Some will disagree, saying any of the specialties will improve your diving in some way. You can do a search for the many threads comparing agencies re MSD programs.

Divemaster: I think it helps your own diving to some fairly small extent-- as pointed out, the task loading, really analyzing the skills by slowing them down to demonstrate can't hurt you at all. BUT, the main thing here is you have to want to work with students, otherwise I can't see how it would be the least bit enjoyable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom