Mass. diver looking for help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nite_diver

Reaction score
planning on divng the Spiegel Grove and looking for some help to make the trip more enjoyable. any feed back on the best charters to get there, nice places to stay, and things to do for some night life.
Will be my first dive on the Spiegel and i hear it takes a few dives to see it all. just going for a long week end. I am an advance diver with ten dives under 80'.
Thank you to any one who replies.

nite_diver

nite_diver:
planning on divng the Spiegel Grove and looking for some help to make the trip more enjoyable. any feed back on the best charters to get there, nice places to stay, and things to do for some night life.
Will be my first dive on the Spiegel and i hear it takes a few dives to see it all. just going for a long week end. I am an advance diver with ten dives under 80'.

nite_diver

please do not take offense, but 10 dives under 80' is not advanced.
you may have the card, and they may let you go, but you could easily get in beyond your comfort level.

On a perfect day, the grove is an easy dive, but on other days not.
I have seen several people bail out & not make it too the ship.

whoever you dive with, I suggest you Hire a DM to go with you.
and I dont mean one who is in the water for everyone one the boat, but one who is diving with you.

Good luck to you.

I am in aggreement with Harley Diver. I always hear everyone a buzz about the Grove. The currents can get nasty there and I have heard some sea tales.

The DM idea is a good one. As a matter of fact the sheer size of that thing a local DM as a guide is not a bad idea anyway. They can show you all the cool stuff!

Eric

I'll chime in on this one. A few years ago, my wife and I made the mistake of doing the Duane in 7' seas on lifetime dive 19, just after completing an AOW course. The boat captain assured us that it was within our experience and training. (I won't mention names, but it was Jeff Jarvis of the HMS Minnow, who usually gets good reviews.)

Long story short is that she ran into problems that she wasn't prepared to handle and only through luck, the grace of God, and a nearby OWSI on vacation did she manage to make it back to the boat. As a result, she has all but given up diving. Yeah, we should have been more conservative, but there wasn't a group like this to give feedback on just what that meant.

All that taken into account, the Spiegel is a great dive on a good day. Just make sure that you discuss experience and training with the dive operator before you sign on. Island Ventures and Silent World are good folks, as is Key Largo Brent's group, Blue Water Divers. The DM recommendation is a great idea, and will help you get the most out of the dive.

Safe ascents,
Grier

GrierHPharmD:
I'll chime in on this one. A few years ago, my wife and I made the mistake of doing the Duane in 7' seas on lifetime dive 19, just after completing an AOW course. The boat captain assured us that it was within our experience and training. (I won't mention names, but it was Jeff Jarvis of the HMS Minnow, who usually gets good reviews.)

The first clue should have been taking a 25' boat out for a dive in 7' seas. YIKES!!

nite_diver:

nite_diver
You don't mention when you're coming, or how many divers are in your party. Is it just you? If so, you'll definitely benefit from hiring an instructor to accompany you on the Spiegel Grove. The going rate is ~$50 for one or two divers. Hotel/motel rates vary drastically by season. I like Marina Marina Del Mar, as it puts you within easy walking distance of several dive and fishing charters, a parasailing boat, a glass bottom boat, several swimming pools, and a couple of bars and restaurants. The Galley Restaurant & Sharky's Pub are locals' favorites.

How do the Duane and Bibb compare with the Grove?

HarleyDiver:
please do not take offense, but 10 dives under 80' is not advanced.
you may have the card, and they may let you go, but you could easily get in beyond your comfort level.

On a perfect day, the grove is an easy dive, but on other days not.
I have seen several people bail out & not make it too the ship.

whoever you dive with, I suggest you Hire a DM to go with you.
and I dont mean one who is in the water for everyone one the boat, but one who is diving with you.

Good luck to you.

I attempted to dive the Duane when I considered myself a newbie (maybe 20 New England dives, AOW there, and a few dives in the keys.) Between a ripping current and some other stuff starting to go paws up, we wound up aborting the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom