Masks with Prescription lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcharous

Reaction score
I'm looking on buying a mask with prescription lenses (to avoid wearing contacts underwater). Does anyone know of a reputable retailer?

Thanks,
Matt

SeaVision masks are sold through many LDS's.
SeaVision is a great company for after sales support and the skirts on their masks are fantastic!!!
I own two of them and my wife and daughter dive with them, also.

Welcome to the board Matt.
I have had real good success with these people. They will provide the mask or you can send them one, which is what I did. I have been happy with the mask and their service.
http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com/

I own two seavision masks as well and am very impressed with them. I just recently got my second one last week. Was pretty impressed with the turn-around. I went to my LDS and ordered the mask. I didn't even know if Seavision still had my perscription. 3 days later I have a new mask in my perscription. Both my masks are model Sea IV's. This new one is the low light/vis mask, and my other one has the color correction. The color correction lenses are awesome on reefs. They work well in the blue water with excellent vis. It's amazing the colors they bring back. The do however lack IMHO when you get down in the depths of lakes/quarrys where the light is few and far between. This is why I also have the low light/vis. Both masks have the black skirt which I've heard people say they believe it seals better than the clear skirt. I definately have no problems sealing my Sea IV's and I have a broad face.

I hope you have good luck on finding a good perscription mask that suits you comfort wise, as well as suiting your diving style. Please report back to us with what decision you made and what you think of your purchase.

Matt

Another option here. Consider a product called Scubaspec. It is an insert that mounts within your mask and is easily removed. It's made to be portable, temporary... mounting via suction cup or glued snap bracket. This offers the following benefits:
1) It's inexpensive compared to custom grinding.
2) It's removable, meaning you can take it from mask to mask. Also ideal for folks who share or rent masks.
3) When your script changes its easier and cheaper to update your mask
4) You can always buy the latest mask and transfer the spec into it.
5) You don't have to worry about breaking or losing your expensive custom script mask if you use this insert.
6) it uses the exact same script as your everyday glasses meaning less distortion.

It's made by Scubaspec LLC. It's a one of a kind product and the company was founded by my grandfather, an optometrist over 30 years ago. I'm happy to source the product for you or put you in contact with the company. You can email me at whoisjohngalt127@yahoo.com

mcharous:
I'm looking on buying a mask with prescription lenses (to avoid wearing contacts underwater). Does anyone know of a reputable retailer?

Thanks,
Matt

You post like you already wear contacts on an everyday basis. Why not wear them diving too. I wear contacts and had custom lenses but into a mask. I hated them. Mostly it was the fact that I had to put something back on immediatley out of the water or I couldn't see. Then again my vision really sucks!! I am really accustomed to wearing sun glasses too. The whole process of taking glasses or contacts out, gearing up, dealing with the bright sunlight, not being able to see until my mask was in place, diving, not being able to see until the glasses or contacts were back in became quite a hassle. I also found that from the lens distortion I still couldn't see as well under water as I liked too. My solution: Even though I wear Rigid Gas Perm. lenses for everyday life, I picked up a 6 pack of disposable lenses for just diving use. I couldn't ever use the disposable ones for everyday use as I had protein buildup in a very short period of time. but they are great for diving. I put them in at the beginning of the day, and take them out at the end of the diving day. I toss them at the end of the week, or if I'm doing intermittant diving, about once a month. I'd much rather replace a cheap lens if It comes out while diving than an expensive one. To date, I've probably logged 200+ dives without a lens loss. :42:

I wear gas permeable lenses, and have never had a problem diving with them. The temporary use of soft lenses for diving sounds like something to check out, though.

Back
Top Bottom