Mask with magnification recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sladerer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've looked over several threads on this buy I have a very specific question. My best
friend is going through his OW classes now and is having a hard time finding a mask
that fits and allows him to read his gauges. He needs a +4 or so magnification,
but has a longer nose with a high bridge making it hard to find any mask that fits properly. In addition, he seems to need a larger than average skirt.

I sent him a link to the prescription dive mask folks - Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878

But am interested in any other suggestions.

Thanks.

Contact lenses coupled with a conventional mask lens has worked well for me. However, now that short arm disease has settled in, I have a prototype XS Scuba mask with purge, with gauge readers they were kind enough to give me to try out for a market concept.

As far as fitting a wide face, some of the 'retro' style masks work well. Check out my avatar and profile pic wearing a good old Aqua Lung Pacifica (with purge)

Pacifica

Or, you can try an Atlantis II (no purge)

Atlantis II

There was a thread a while back listing web sites for all sorts of the older, higher volume masks that fit some folks (like me) well, it'll take a bit of hunting, but you can find it with a 'search' function.

I'm with WarmWater. Though I had never worn them, I got contacts specifically to dive with. I have never had a problem and believe it or not, never lost one. Not sure about fitting a "long" nose but the Tusa Splendive mask is a popular one with corrective lenses. I know Scuba Toys carries them.

I found the thread on the retro style mask offerings - lots to chose from, but many may not be as easily obtained in North America as the Aqua Lung Pacifica, Atlantis II, or their wraparound style mask.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fins-masks-snorkels/78006-retro-oval-mask.html

Scubamax has a couple of offerings that may be of interest as well.

product

product

Most of the current production 'retro' style masks now have silicone skirts as opposed to the original designs that had rubber skirts, and this reduces the potential for leakage relative to the original vintage masks of this style.

edit - this thread shows the pics of the XS Scuba purge style mask with gauge readers I got as a prototype. Mine is the black skirt version.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...scuba-buyers-guide-interesting-reading-3.html

you can buy stick on diopters that allow you to magnifie any standard mask up to +3 at most dive shops so find a mask that fits first and then go from their

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom