Mask Turning Yellow With Minimal Use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stever2002

Contributor
Reaction score
I purchased a mask at the beginning of the summer. I've only made about 10 dives (all fresh water), plus my pool work. I have rinsed it off with fresh water after every use, but now I notice that the clear plastic that surounds the lenses (not the lenses them selfs) have turned yellow.

Should I be rinsing/washing the mask with anything besides fresh tap water?

Thanks!
...steve...

stever2002:
I purchased a mask at the beginning of the summer. I've only made about 10 dives (all fresh water), plus my pool work. I have rinsed it off with fresh water after every use, but now I notice that the clear plastic that surounds the lenses (not the lenses them selfs) have turned yellow.

Thanks!
...steve...
Steve, you're not alone.

Clear silicone suffers from some of the leeching effects of black rubber (including fins, neoprene, etc.). Ultimately, most clear skirts will yellow. (Notice how many of the board veterens have black skirts on their masks?).

It's "broke in".

Contact with rubber and exposure to sunlight or chlorine will yellow clear silicone. The good news is the yellow doesn't hurt it. I store my clear silicone mask in the foot pocket of my black rubber fin. It's a non-issue.

Thanks guys - I was thinking there was some home remedy for cleaning it up. Alas, I know understand that its a badge to be worn proudly! :D

Thanks again,
...steve...

I would only start to worry when the skirt starts turning red or green from algae and/or fungus growth. Which is sign that you are diving way too much ;-).

Scared Silly:
I would only start to worry when the skirt starts turning red or green from algae and/or fungus growth. Which is sign that you are diving way too much ;-).

There's no such thing as diving too much.

stever2002:

Thanks!
...steve...

With only 10 dives on it I think it's simply a case that you're not giving it the proper care. I have a clear silicone skirt on my mask. It's probably 18 months old with approx 75 dives on it. If you comparred it's skirt to a brand new one I doubt you could tell the difference. The strap is another matter and it does show a little yellowing.

Rinsing is not enough...... I clean the mask with a toothbrush and mild soap after every dive trip. Brush it inside and out. If it was not so hard to brush the strap I could keep it looking new as well.

Yeah, eventually it'll yellow but a like everything else you need to take better care of it if you don't want it to yellow prematurely.

Don Janni:
Rinsing is not enough...... I clean the mask with a toothbrush and mild soap after every dive trip. Brush it inside and out. If it was not so hard to brush the strap I could keep it looking new as well.
<=== Hey... Four kids (and another not living at home)... my toothbrush and soap bill have their own budget line-items already... I"ll just let it keep yellowing...

Yep, just as BKP said, the color is absorbed from anything neoprene, rubber or the like that your mask is around. It will not hurt the integrity of the silicone (as long as it's a high grade) and will not degrade the performance of the mask. If you don't want it to yellow, don't store it near anything that it can absorb the color from.

Britt :fish:
:fish:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom