Mask skirt and signaling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As Rtodd and I both mentioned, you need touch contact in super clear water.

Its also possible that your light stability is "relatively" wild and that your buddies are not noticing your signals because they have detuned themselves to the occasional flash. E.g. you should not be correcting bouyancy with the light in your left hand. Try to keep the beam stable at all times. Slow down your light movements overall.
35w is a blessing but its also a curse if you don't have the stability to give reliable light cues. You buddies will be that much more tuned out vs. a 10W Cave1 will ramp up your light disciple big time.

I agree with what you are saying rjack; touch contact does seem like the only REAL solution to this problem that addresses all the issues.

Indeed it does annoy me quite a bit when my buddies' light is all over the place, I keep looking over at him expecting something wrong but there is nothing. I do transfer the light to the right hand (holding the body, not in goodman in case of OOA) when doing tasks with the left. Thanks for your comments.

mtbrider:
How do you flash the hands? I am trying to understand the positioning. I was only successful in hitting the outside of the elbow which was not much use.

What kind of formation is your team swimming in? Sounds like you are playing follow the leader if an elbow is all you can flash. You should try wing on wing.

mtbrider:
I agree with what you are saying rjack; touch contact does seem like the only REAL solution to this problem that addresses all the issues.

Indeed it does annoy me quite a bit when my buddies' light is all over the place, I keep looking over at him expecting something wrong but there is nothing. I do transfer the light to the right hand (holding the body, not in goodman in case of OOA) when doing tasks with the left. Thanks for your comments.

I figured you were reasonable to good on that. But I know that its easy to look at your buddy to be the "solution" sometimes. I've started scootering this summer and light discipline takes on a whole new dimension with a scooter in your (right) hand.

Anyway since communication is a team issue its always best to consider both what you need to do to send a signal and what/how your buddy needs to receive and process said signal. 2 way street and all that jazz :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom