Mask skirt and signaling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtbrider

Contributor
Reaction score
As a new diver I had a mask with a clear skirt. Eventually I migrated to a black skirt and really appreciated the reduction in glare. This was all well and good, but there was one nagging problem: I rarely noticed my buddy signaling me when shining his light at my face. Now, most of the time my buddies would signal at where my light was shining but sometimes the ambient light was so much that even a focused HID would not stand out.

Recently for that reason I have purchased a new mask with a clear skirt. Oh yeah, that glare is pretty annoying, but a light signal from the side is sure to be seen.

I'm pretty sure DIR does not specify clear or black skirt, and in fact I think it would make little difference in a cave. It seems the only time this is an issue is during dives with a lot of ambient light.

What do other DIR divers (except for JeffG) think about this?

mtbrider:
What do other DIR divers think about this?
As long as is doesn't interfere with my snorkel, its all good.

mtbrider:
What do other DIR divers (except for JeffG) think about this?

I dive a clear skirt because it fits my face the best of any mask I've tried, and I've tried a fair number of them.

It does allow me to see lights out of the corner of my eye, but I think that black skirts work better-the issue isn't so much the "out of the corner of my eye" light signals but that the team should be managing its lights in a manner that results in clear communication.

An example: I was scootering with rjack last night. His light discipline is great, probably from being Cave 1. As a result, his light remained very quiet throughout most of the dive, and when he would move it in a funny way I would check in on him (most of the time it was because he was recharging his compass). I have other buddies that have poor light discipline and I'm conditioned to not respond to their spurious light movements. So, as a team, you can tighten up your light discipline so you signals become clearer-making the use of a clear skirt to see things out of the corner of your eye unnecessary.

But, at least the GUE take on the subject is a low volume mask that fits, clear or black skirt doesn't matter.

Mask skirt?

My bad.

I thought the question was about Grass skirts.

In high ambient light conditions, I hit my buddy's arms (which typically are in front of his face. You know, the superman position) with my light. This is usually pretty effective.

JeffG:
Mask skirt?

My bad.

I thought the question was about Grass skirts.

You wouldn't want your grass skirt interfering with your "snorkel" now would you? :lotsalove:

Now myself, I don't have a "snorkel," I have a "long hose."

mtbrider:
Now myself, I don't have a "snorkel," I have a "long hose."

Yeah we know :mooner: Inside joke to those not in the know :eyebrow:

I am often MTBriders dive buddy, and this whole question came about because utilizing a 35 watt HID I was unable a couple of times to gain his attention quickly. Fortunately it was not during any type of situation, but just a "Hey You". We were diving in a team of three with our friend between us in about 20 feet of vis (It was a good day :D )

The clear skirt sucks when snorkeling, due to glare, and a black rules the roost when at the surface, but we are "diving" not hanging out in less than 5 feet of water. All of my masks are black skirt and most likely my next one will be clear. Even though I consider myself a photographer.

So is a clear skirt DIR?

Thanks Doug

If the ambient light is so bright that your light is washed out your best recourse is to go with touch contact. Given awesome vis this is rather counter-intuitive but its 100% reliable. It also keeps you close together when the tendency to is to spread out (too much).

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom