Mask Removal Drill - Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its been about 4 months for a reply, so let me chime in as this applies to a problem I THINK I have.

About 2 months ago I was doing one of my nitrox dives and I was getting bored, so I decided to take my mask off in 20 feet of water for giggles.

The plan was to swim without it on for a little bit. Well, I took the mask off and thought I was gonna bolt to the surface....when that water hit my face, my breathing went to crap and I ended up on the quarry bottom...which luckily was also near 20 feet. :)

It was probably the worst experience I have had yet while underwater. It probably didnt last for all but 10 seconds, but I wanted that mask back on my face quickly..I got it back on and cleared it......and then I continued on thinking....that was a very stupid idea.

The water is probably around 78 down there now so it should be a problem, I need to try this again soon. I always think about this when I go below the thermo.......which is in deeper water. I wonder how I would fair in that.....
:wacko:

bwerb once bubbled...
I figured it was the "big breath" thing combined with the really shallow positioning.

Thanks UP for the comment on the body positioning heads up being an additional factor.

Good call Mike on the "why rush, after one breath I can see again".

Question DD, how does you buddy hold your thumb if you are using both hands to put your mask back on? Or...is this a lost mask swimming technique?

Brian

as a matter of fact i was practicing that last weekend at seacrest and had the same issue. my biggest problem was the cold, my body seems to do it's own thing when very cold water hits my face :) althouh if the mask is off for a little while that effect seems to wear off. practice practice practice:D

Sheck33's got it!!!

Practice, practice, practice---in an invironment and depth you are comfortable with. Might try one hand, two hands, sideways, etc. All in all, when the cold water hits, it's just, well, cold!!! Ain't this scuba diving great? Fun!!!

Back
Top Bottom