Mask questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DirtRider

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I went to my LDS and they carry mares, scuba pro, and promate masks (i think i got the brands right). The mask that seemed to fit best was the promate fish eyes. It was slightly bigger than the mares x-vision or pure vision and these two were going to be my guide as many divers like them. The fish eyes model was slightly wider both for the face and and nose pocket. My nose is squeezed horizontally on almost all masks. Is this normal? About half way pinched in the mares masks though it doesn't hurt or anything. Many masks seem slightly small...some seal very close the the outer edge of my eyes. I also noticed on the scuba pro model they had with the purge that my nose also hits the bottom of the nose pocket where the purge is. I am probably bigger than the average diver at 6'1" 195lbs but my face isn't anything monsterous. It seems weird to me that most masks are sized for people 110lbs or over. How can that possibly accomodate such a range of faces. In motorcycle helmets a 110 lb person is in a small or extra small and I am a large to x-large. Wouldn't it stand to reason that we need more size masks too? What do you guys recommend for me?
Also, I always thought a purge would be a good idea. I guess that idea came from over a decade ago when my dad used to dive and he swore by them. In the pool I can clear a mask very easy though (just started my padi) so it doesn't seem like a big deal anymore. Then the lds person told me the purge sometimes falls off on one of the scuba pro masks. Now I am thinking I should not get a purge. Consensus?

A mask purge valve is a nice but not needed feature (especially if the mask fits properly). Some divers would reasonably argue that the purge valve is just one more point of potential failure.

As far as fit goes there are different sizes for wider faces. We sell oceanic and they tend to fit larger faces better. Specifically the trend 3 by oceanic. I personally can't wear one cause it leaks like a sieve on me. Also if they are hitting the brigde of your nose it may not seem like much in the store or even in the pool. But wait till you spend any kind of time at depth. it Might feel like some one smacked you with an iron bar across there. This is sometimes a common problem with the so-called low volume mask. which sits closer to your face and eyes. I have this problem also being italian with a classic roman profile(ok, my nose is a little bigger than normal! not huge just more prominent, really!) but anyweay I can't wear a low profile mask like the oceanic shadow or some of the us divers/aqualung masks. I use a scubamax panoramic and it does not hit the bridge and the seal is such that even though I wear it like you are supposed to as far as tightness it does not leak even if i crack a small smile. Big grins however will cause me to need to clear it. I also don't use a purge and if you have nop problem clearing it in the pool you don't really need it either IMO. The only other consideration then is price which may or may not be a factor for you. This is why unless it's a specialty mask like a pro ear or full face we sell all of our masks for the same price. This way 5 or 10 bucks is not going to force some one to say I want this one even tho the other fits a little better. Yes some cost us more than others but it works out in the long run because customer satisfaction is what keeps people coming back. Not that 5 dollars you saved 3 yrs ago. If your lds does not have one that fits you like it should or you are not comfortable, check around till you do find one. Being uncomfortable on a dive is no fun, surfacing with a day long headache is no fun, having your buddies laugh at you because of the ring/bar around your face/across your nose is no fun. Hope this helps, Jim

Hey There Dirt Rider and fellow scubaboard members
To follow up on the to purge (or) not to Purge mask Question...
I was told that the purge mask is a good idea if you have facial hair/mustashe?
Otherwise you really do not need a purge mask.
Is this true(or)false?
Comments Apprecited Please!

Regardless of purge or no purge...if you dont try a mask on with a reg in your mouth you could be wasting a lot of money. A reg will distort your facial features and a mask that doesnt leak air without a reg....will leak air with a reg.....and the shop wont take it back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom