Mask pain at base of nose - need advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bruehlt

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got back from 4 days of diving at Bimini (what a great place!!). During the last two days of diving, the base of my nose (between my nostrils) was in extreme pain due to the mask pushing on it.

I searched on here and only found 1 other poster with similar experiences. Can anyone recommend any masks with larger areas near the base of the nose? I am diving with a 4 year old Cressi right now, which works fine - but the pain is starting to bother me on dives.

Bruehlt,

Unfortunately, a mask is one of those things that is quite impossible for one person to recommend to another when it comes to fit.

One may recommend a mask based on visibility, style, etc., but the ONLY way to tell if it's going to fit OK is to try it on.

Some people find that their masks fit better and reduce that problem by using custom mouthpieces.

Good luck in your quest.

the K

are you using a mask with a purge valve? If so get rid of it in favor of one without it and the pain will go away. If not I'm not too sure what's causing the pain.

sounds to me like you just have it positioned badly on your face. I used to get that, until I realised that the mask was sliding up my face and putting pressure on my nose. A simplre re-adjustment of the positioning of the mask strap on the back of my head and problem gone.
Also don't forget to equalise your mask from time to time too, that can also put pressure on that part of your nose.

Dave :D

Also, check to see that the mask straps are not too tight - if you wear your mask a little tight on the surface, it will be uncomfortable at depth. Positioning is crucial too, as ScubaFreak said.

Different faces need different masks. This is one of the places where a good LDS is worth their weight in gold. Years ago, I experienced the same thing, to the point where I was really questioning how much I enjoyed diving. Getting a mask that fit properly made all the difference.

Go to an LDS, and make sure they have you try it with a regulator in your mouth, it will push your upper lip up and can result in pressure on your nose in that area.

I've recently started to have the same problem. We went to a local quarry this weekend and did 2 dives. By the time we finished those, the base of my nose hurt. I already have a custom mouthpiece, and my mask doesn't have a purge valve. I'll try loosening the strap, and repositioning....

Thanks for the advice. I will try that in addition to trying a new mask. I just looked at the local shop and saw they had some cheap Akonos masks for $35, which felt nice!

I was having the same problem. I loosened the mask strap but I also noticed that I was wearing the strap more towards the top of my head which was pulling the nose piece into that area. I did notice some relief when I pulled the strap a little lower on the back of my head. Give that a try. It should make it feel better. Maybe not 100% better but anything helps.

Hi,

I would suggest that you first try getting a neoprene strap instead of getting a new mask. The neoprene strap really helps in comfort and it sits better than a regular mask strap, you don't need it to be too tight. Easy on, easy off, better positioning and cheap. Try one before getting a new mask.

Cheers,

SangP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom