Mask on top of head - Diver in distress?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My instructor (PADI) said that it could be a sign of stress , and this was born out by a diver in my rescue class, he was not in distress, and no one in class tried to save him, but yeah, he sure was stressed from task loading

I never heard anyone say that MOF was a sign of distress untill I joined ScubaBoard

I wonder if maybe students just misunderstand?

I've dropped a mask by putting it on my forehead, and I was in stress after that (stress about not having a spare) so maybe it really is true!

friscuba:
People pooh-pooh the whole mask/distress thing, but you really can tell who's comfortable by watching how long the mask stays on... The majority of fairly experienced divers I get on my boat make it all the way on the boat before removing their masks, the majority of new divers have their mask off within seconds of surfacing, usually before they even begin to remove their fins.

What a novel idea and I bet that there are some divers on this board that wouldn't have lost their masks if they had kept them on their faces...matter of fact I know at least one SBr who dropped his mask over deep water trying to clip it to his BCD before getting back on the boat! He couldn't remember if it was cool to be a MOF or NonMOF.... =)

The wearer has to buy the instructor a margarita if he sees a MOF. They learn fast.

Nailer99:
Sweet......this is my first time through one of these. I'll have to do a search and read through some of the other ones. And, yep, the mask on head thing is right there in my PADI OW text. Seems silly, 'cause there ARE other ways to spot a panicked diver, but I accepted it, and never do it.

Hi, Nailer,

I couldn't find this "mask on the head" listed as a distress signal in the PADI OW book. Can you tell me where it is? I was taught during the course that the universal distress signal was to wave one's arm up and down.

kent_1848:
I've dropped a mask by putting it on my forehead, and I was in stress after that (stress about not having a spare) so maybe it really is true!

Me, too. Though I eventually found it in the mud in 20' of water.

I put my mask on my forehead because I was worn out and on the verge of panic. Two nice divers came to my aid and towed me back to shore.

Did I mention this was part of a rescue class?:D

If I'm in distress, you'll know it.........and you will NOT have to look to see where my mask is.

I lost i once but did not panic because I couldn't MOF

I was originally told that it was indeed a sign of distress. However, when someone is in distress, that mask is bound to go all kinds of places.

When I was in New Zealand in 2004, all that was mentioned was the following:
  • Waving with one arm -> Need help.
  • Waving with two arms -> Need help NOW!

Folks, let's try to keep this thread on topic. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom