Mask on Forehead reliable distress signal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I once dove in...uh... through...uh...with...anyway - about a two foot layer of creosote that was dumped way back in the 30's. Couldn't take my mask off - I mean literally - could thump your hair and it sounded like thumping a rock. using a water pump that blew it all back in your face and all over you...literally dumped kerosene on each other to get it off - half my dive gear melted....

just asking - if it's so boring - why are you reading and posting - lotsa stuff on here is boring to me - I just ignore it...

As in "thanks" for the story. That is funny, tarred and feathered while diving and you lived :rofl3:.

N

...you lived :rofl3:.

N

yeah, we looked like the monster(s) from the black lagoon when we came out of the water....thought we were gonna hafta shave our heads / bodies -amazing where that stuff went even while wearing a wet-suit, LDS where we were diving wouldn't fill our tanks ......prob took years off my life....I had to quit smoking for a couple of weeks - breath smelled so much like creosote, I prob would have lit off like a tiki torch :D...

In an earlier post, I suggested that the field of view through a mask was greater above water than below...

I believe it is the same.

Walter,

I am a biologist, not a master of physics by any means... but consider the apparent magnification, due to refraction.

Everything is enlarged a bit, and the field of view is reduced a bit.

As for dropping the mask to my neck, it's not really convenient for me as I have a necklaced back-up.

Cheers,

Anthony

Look at my profile picture. The other day, I was not even diving but got really cold. so I ran to my car to grab my mask and put it on my forehead. I was hoping someone could see I was in distress. No one came to help me. We need to teach the rest of the world the true meaning of MOF as a distress signal.

Notice also that I left the snorkel on to be safer.

image.php

In an earlier post, I suggested that the field of view through a mask was greater above water than below...

Walter,

I am a biologist, not a master of physics by any means... but consider the apparent magnification, due to refraction.

Everything is enlarged a bit, and the field of view is reduced a bit.

As for dropping the mask to my neck, it's not really convenient for me as I have a necklaced back-up.

Cheers,

Anthony
you're correct .. try it and see, hold your fingers out to your sides, then stick your head under ... the field of view is limited due to refraction

you're correct .. try it and see, hold your fingers out to your sides, then stick your head under ... the field of view is limited due to refraction

I'll try it tomorrow.

Look at my profile picture. The other day, I was not even diving but got really cold. so I ran to my car to grab my mask and put it on my forehead. I was hoping someone could see I was in distress. No one came to help me. We need to teach the rest of the world the true meaning of MOF as a distress signal.

Notice also that I left the snorkel on to be safer.

image.php

Very proactive, an experiment, and just as you had hypothesized nobody came to your aid. :depressed: I think the only logical conclusion that can be taken from this highly controlled :wink: experiment is that MOF is not an universal "I am in distress" signal or you are known to have bad breath or something (Ever see the movie "Drowning Mona"?). You know what, during the times I got paid to sit on the beach and look at girls the few people who attempted to drown neither had a MOF nor did they politely state clearly "I am in distress." Nobody talks that way, they would be screaching gag, burble, cough, spit, burble, (insert desired explicative here), burble, spit, cough.

Actually to be serious, some people drowning or otherwise seriously preoccupied can be totally silent. I look at the eyes, if they were looking at me, it was time to get moving.

There was a story some years back about a sow bear and two cubs that attacked a man. His description of the hours long attack was riveting and what stuck in my mind was his description of the complete total silence of the event. If a tree falls in the woods and nobody hears it then there was no sound but if a bear kills you in the woods and nobody hears it you are still dead.

N

I'm hearing rumor that rolling your wetsuit down to your waist, as opposed to leaving it on completely, has also become an international distress signal. :D

diving with snorkels and splitfins should be an international distress signal...

( and I have never seen any GUE position on MOFNMOF, i think they have better things to argue about like stainless vs. brass boltsnaps... )

I'm hearing rumor that rolling your wetsuit down to your waist, as opposed to leaving it on completely, has also become an international distress signal.
Having George W. Bush as one's president has also become known as an international distress signal.

Back
Top Bottom