Mask on Forehead reliable distress signal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was a fun thread to read. I was taught that a panicked diver may discard dive gear, like their mask or their regulator. Not that their mask would be placed nicely on their forehead. Me? Once in a while I may place my mask on my forehead, usually I am on the boat when I do this waiting to get in the water. Sometimes I may actually be in the water, but then I normally put it around my neck. If it's on my forehead, like Nemrod, if you come to rescue me, I had better darn well be in need of a rescue.

DennisW:
If it's on my forehead, like Nemrod, if you come to rescue me, I had better darn well be in need of a rescue.

I think on our next dive together, I'm going to rescue you if it's not on your forehead...at depth.

I can dive perfectly well with my mask on my forehead...at depth. And you know it. If you take it, though, please try not to lose it. I like my mask.

We could both be sans masks at the end of this rescue. :D

Here's a point to consider that was recently brought to my attention.

What do the Life Guards your area think about MOF?
... at the local area beaches where we dive, they notice and look at someone with it there, and then continue their scan after they see that the person is OK .. I find it inlightening and will be even less inclined to put my mask up knowing that I'm taking away a tiny bit of the Life Guards scan time ... something to consider

Good question. A lifeguard is trained to identify physical characteristics that indicate a person is either in distress or actively drowning. A mask situated on the forehead is not a primary indicator of either one that a lifeguard should be looking for. If it is something they're looking for then it is due to the widespread notion that the MOF is an indicator but a trained lifeguard should know better. They are more apt to focus on the characteristics of breathing, arm & leg action, body position and locomotion.

Good question. A lifeguard is trained to identify physical characteristics that indicate a person is either in distress or actively drowning. A mask situated on the forehead is not a primary indicator of either one that a lifeguard should be looking for. If it is something they're looking for then it is due to the widespread notion that the MOF is an indicator but a trained lifeguard should know better. They are more apt to focus on the characteristics of breathing, arm & leg action, body position and locomotion.

yep, really. I assume a person is in distress when they are screaming, thrashing and waving their arms, floating face down and immobile for any length of time or drifting by with only their feet sticking out of the water and unmoving.

also I had to post so I could show my avatar with the mask on my forehead - BTW - I usually take my mask off and clip it onto my vest - this was just for the Kodak moment.

Last edited:
PADI Instructor Manual:
Panicked divers – These are divers with a problem who have become overwhelmed by stress and unreasoned fear. They’ve abandoned rational responses and react entirely through instinct and fear.

Generally, panicked divers:
• Reject their equipment (mask on forehead, regulator and snorkel out of mouth).
• Fail to establish buoyancy and swim vigorously with arms until exhausted.
• Do not respond to commands or questions.
• Fixate on a single, ineffective response to the problem.
• Will climb on anything or anyone to get above or out of the water.
• Will do little to help themselves.

I don't read that the same way many people here do which seems to be:
1) MOF is the only sign of distress;
2) MOF is a foolproof sign of distress;
3) MOF is a required technique to communicate that you are in distress.

I also think people with MOF are ones that still haven't lost a mask in surf, accidental bumping, etc. But they probably will. Or someone they teach will. Or someone who copies them. :rolleyes:

We are divers, not aviators. Aviators wear goggles on their head. We keep the mask around our neck".

This sounds like your dive instructor was trying to be cute. Pathetic. Not funny, just plain pathetic. Couldn't he think of something more original than that?

This sounds like your dive instructor was trying to be cute. Pathetic. Not funny, just plain pathetic. Couldn't he think of something more original than that?

I don't think that saying is nearly as pathetic as you crticizing it is.

Back
Top Bottom