Mask Needed (specific criteria)...please help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaduba22

Registered
Reaction score
Well here's the situation: I need a mask that meets the following criteria...
1. Can be fitted for corrective lenses
2. Has a large nose pocket
3. Has large field of vision

I've tried three masks but they both have trade-offs. Seavision hurts the bridge of my nose. Aeris Orca has a great field of vision, but the nose pocket touches the tip of my nose. Aeris Europa 4 does not touch my nose, but the field of vision is limited.

Please help. Let me know if you've found a solution. Thanks.

A TUSA Liberator mask fits a lot of faces. That mask can be taken apart, and the lenses easily replaced with ready-made corrective lenses. These lenses can be ordered installed in the mask from Diver's Direct (online). It added $40 to the cost of my wife's mask, which is a lot less than "custom" installation.

Were the lenses your wife received to her exact prescription?
Pardon the question, but does your wife have a big nose?

Last edited:
ok thanks. So maybe the Tusa Liberator is not what I'm looking for since it doesn't have a large nose pocket. Also, I need the prescription to be exact. So no go on the Tusa. Thanks.

Try the Mares X-Vision Liquidskin. I have a large (not huge) nose and it fits comfortably. Mares sells corrective lenses up to about -8.00 assuming that you're near sighted. If you need custom lenses, contact Aquatic Optics in CA. They can grind them in about three weeks with your prescription.

The Mares X-vision might work well. I've got the Mid-sized version, and it has a fairly large nose pocket (larger than my Atomic frameless), is a two-window design (and can be fitted with corrective lenses), and has a fairly large field of vision. It's also pretty inexpensive, so if it doesn't work well, you're not out a lot of money...

I can't speak for the Liquidskin, as I've not tried it, but it comes in some cool colors! :)

ok thanks. So maybe the Tusa Liberator is not what I'm looking for since it doesn't have a large nose pocket. Also, I need the prescription to be exact. So no go on the Tusa. Thanks.

It looks like a fairly large nose pocket on the TUSA, but we don't have a big nose around the house to test it.

I tried this mask a week ago. One without the purge. Narrow face and a big nose? This has got to be it. Our local instructor had them for sale, and it appeared to be well-made.

XS Scuba MA210 Fusion 2 LV Purge Scuba Mask

BTW, if you look at those movies of Jaques Cousteau, you'll see that his nose was typically pressed up against the glass on his oval mask.

I can't speak for the Liquidskin, as I've not tried it, but it comes in some cool colors! :)

The Liquidskin comes in both standard and mid-size for smaller faces. The mask is the same size as the comparable original X-Vision. The Liquidskin is just a softer silicon around your face. They list for about $90-95. Haven't checked on line.

Mares sells corrective lenses for the LS both positive and negative, or you can get custom ground lenses if you have real unusual prescription.

I've got two LSs with corrective lenses and have been real pleased with them. Low volume mask which I really like. Lenses are close to eyes and side vision is real good.

Back
Top Bottom