Mask Mount -- Riffe Naida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RaginCajun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Here are a few shots of my GoPro Hero 3 mount for my Riffe Naida mask.

What you'll need:
1 GoPro verticle surface J hook buckle
1 - 6-32 brass machine screw
2 - 6-32 brass knurled nut
Something to cut the J hook buckle
Small drill bits ~5/32" or 3/16"

I used what I'll call the J hook buckle. It's basically the piece that would affix the GoPro to a helmet or flat surface. It is particularly long and curved with a buckle connection. It's the one all the way to the left found here:

Grab Bag of Mounts - GoPro Official Store: Wearable Digital Cameras for Sports

To start, I removed the Riffe logo'd nose bridge from the mask. It just snapped out. Luckily there is a rather small screw & nut in there. It's actually a square phillips head screw (on the bottom) screwed into what I'd call some kind of threaded receiver (forgive my poor knowledge of bolt hardware terminology). Basically it's a really small nut & bolt that is impossible to find (nothing like it at either Home Depot or Lowes). No worries, just don't lose it. You'll need it to return the mask to the original state.

Next I took the plastic J hook buckle apart by loosening the 3 screws underneath. I used the hole closest to the hinge for my mount and drilled it out. I believe I used a 5/32 bit. Be sure it's bigger than the 6-32 machine screw but not much.

The next step is tricky and one that I wish I were more careful with. You need to cut the "helmet mount" back. It will be too long unless you do so. I chose to cut it just past the hole I used to drill through. I goofed by cutting it too close to the hole. I used a jig saw and should have done it by hand with a hack saw or other tool. I didn't have much to work with. Mine is ugly and if it breaks at least I know how to do it better next time.

With a hole drilled through the mounting bracket be sure the 6-32 screw will fit through it. Don't force it but you don't want the hole too much bigger than the screw. I snapped one off when it got stuck.

Stick the 1 1/2" long brass oval head phillips screw through the hole in the mask where you removed the screw. Use one knurled nut to keep the screw in place just above the nose of the mask, then mount the bracket on the screw and use the other knurled nut to tighten everything down.

One more modification not shown was a simple tether that I made out of 100# mono & a crimp connection to make sure it doesn't go far from my mask should it fall off.

Simple.

I think the total cost for hardware was about ~$2.15

Enjoy !

GO Pro mask mount (6).jpgGO Pro mask mount (7).jpgGO Pro mask mount (4).jpgGO Pro mask mount (21).jpgGO Pro mask mount (9).jpgGO Pro mask mount (20).jpgGO Pro mask mount (22).jpgGO Pro mask mount (27).jpg

$2.15 in hardware but once the spectators start to get sea sick and puke watching youtube, it's worth zero dollars.

Back
Top Bottom