mask lost communication

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

I agree with HjeffreyM in that we are overthinking this

Firstly as he mentions without a mask, just open your eyes, you can still see a bit, certainly enough to allow your buddy to help you to the surface. If you have really lost your mask, then there is no point in trying to continue the dive, and all you need to know is how to surface safely with your buddy.

As mentioned before, you are taught in the confined sessions of the PADI OW Course, to swim to your mask and put it back on, so if your buddy can see your mask no problem.

How many divers have actually lost a mask whilst underwater, and how? The only divers I have seen lose masks are when they jump from the boat whilst forgetting to hold the mask, and it as more annoying than dangerous to lose a mask on the surface.

It would be impractical to teach a whole new set of signals and what to do in every possible scenario that could possible happen during a entry level course, we can only teach the basics and the most likely scenarios.

Paul

i wasnt origionally thinking of low-viz or zero-vis, but it never hurts to plan for the worst; it makes it easier if conditions arent as bad as you planned for! but thanks for all the input

You should be fine in open water with no deco obligation without a mask, unless the water is contaminated. If it is a big concern, carry a spare.

Hmmm...IMHO we're totally overthinking the OPs question. Most people can open their eyes for quite some time in either fresh or salt water without ill effect. No, you will not be able to make out fine detail as if you were wearing a mask so reading your guages is out. But signaling to your buddy there's a problem and requesting an immediate controlled ascent should be easily managed with normal hand signals. You and your buddy might even take a minute first to see if he can find your lost mask. The OP said nothing about a bad or zero-vis situation. He is a new diver seeking advice on what to do in good conditions.

I think the easy answer is OPEN YOUR EYES...make sure your reg is in your mouth and working properly...get your buddy's attention and go from there. You should be able to see all of the hand signals without a mask.

As someone who lived the last 40 years (!) with eyes that went to a -10, who started diving with those eyes, but who has since has had laser corredction to 20:20 (!!!!!!!), I feel safe in saying that you can see enough to function, uncomfortable as it may be, without your mask AS LONG AS you stay calm. That means drills, do some mask off drills to get used to the reduced vision and get some comfort that it is still good enough at a gross level to communicate with your dive buddy,

Certainly could not be any worse than me removing my perscription mask and taking a double hit on visibility :D

I don't agree with the view that there are "gaping hole in the PADI system" there are always topics for debate about the varying curriculums and whatever your opinion of the PADI system I don't think this is really a failure of theirs.

The hand signals for nil vis that people have discussed so far would I think be overkill for an OW course. The PADI system should be taught in such a way that your buddy is no more than arms distance and that you are in constant communication with them. So if in the unlikely (but certainly possible) event that you lose your mask you should be able to reach out and hit your buddy who as the others have explained should be able to guide you to safety.

What would you suggest should be added to the course to make it more complete?

The hand signals for nil vis that people have discussed so far would I think be overkill for an OW course. The PADI system should be taught in such a way that your buddy is no more than arms distance and that you are in constant communication with them. So if in the unlikely (but certainly possible) event that you lose your mask you should be able to reach out and hit your buddy who as the others have explained should be able to guide you to safety.
If your buddy is no more than arms distance, then the most likely reason you lost your mask is because you tried to turn and your buddy kicked you in the face. Staying close to your buddy is important ... staying too close to your buddy is just asking for a mask displacement. If visibility allows, a body-length separation is sufficient for good buddy communication without bumping into each other when you change direction.

There is such a thing as "too close".

As for why lost mask skills aren't (and probably shouldn't be) taught at OW level ... there's only so much you can learn in the format that most OW classes are taught ... beyond a certain point, retention becomes an exercise in diminishing returns. In a longer class ... such as gets taught at universities or in Thal's 100-hour, 12-dive program, it might be possible to cover this. First you'd have to allow sufficient time just breathing without a mask to overcome the mammalian reflex ... which is very strong in many new divers. There's a significant difference between doing this in a heated pool and in colder water, where the effects of the reflex are much stronger.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom