Mask leaking problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cast

Registered
Reaction score
My mask has a leaking problem at the edge of the lens. It is probably the seal between the lens and the frame. I can't tell by looking close at it. Is there any way to repair/seal it? I hate to buy a new one because I paid $200 for it because it has perscription lens.

Go to a pet store (NB: assuming you are doing rec dives). Aquarium sealant works fine. Apply it with a very small, fine, and stiff artist's paintbrush, both inside and outside.

I have aquarium sealant, I know they work but would change into some funny color in the water. Is there better glue for this job? I remember my LDS replaced the glasses on my mask with these pair of prescrition lens. Does anyone know how they did this? Too bad I moved to a different state, can't bring it back the store where I bought them. And it has been 5 years too. probably they have moved to other places too.

rpodos:
Go to a pet store (NB: assuming you are doing rec dives). Aquarium sealant works fine. Apply it with a very small, fine, and stiff artist's paintbrush, both inside and outside.

There is usually some kind of removable ring that holds in the lenses that you can pop out (very carefully.) If you look closely you may see a tiny slot or something that gives a way to insert something and pop it out. (If you say what mask you have someone here may know specifics.) If it's been leaking ever since the new lenses went in maybe something got in there when they did it.

Take it back to the shop where you bought it. It's should leak around the lens. I'd be pissed if I spent $200 on a mask that leaked around the lens. I expect it to leak around the skirt because I have facial hair but around the lens is a defect.

Thanks guys. It is because some dirt or salt built up between the lens and the skirt. So the seal is broken. I took it apart and washed it very carefully. After I put everything together, it is fixed.

Scottri:
Take it back to the shop where you bought it. It's should leak around the lens. I'd be pissed if I spent $200 on a mask that leaked around the lens. I expect it to leak around the skirt because I have facial hair but around the lens is a defect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom