Mask color

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear a black skirted mask so I won't see the big shark swooping in from the side to eat me. Ignorance is bliss. :)

I bought a pano-p4 black mask with a new design purge. the purge is hidden under a seperate layer, i highly recommend this mask, and the color black. it seems to be easier to see, less glare(Black absorbs glare?) maybe just what I like.......

after reading about a barracuda attack, where a cuda attack a divers mask, i will never buy a totally clear or silver mask.
i have a cressi in yellow, white and there's a bit of silver on it, but that's too bad, no point getting paranoid or anything.
it was just the nicest color to choose from at the shop then.

edit: i just realised my mask is silver. lol.

texdiveguy:
What is your pick in mask skirt color(clear//black//blue//yellow//gray//??) and why???

I picked a clear skirt and mask body because I had heard this allows more light in and allows for a bit better vision in most conditions. Though I do have my eye on a mask that is black in color, and may just give it a try. I take into account many factors in mask selection.....but for this post was interested in your thoughts on mask color and vision.

Agreed. Clear.

THANKS all for the input....looks like a black skirted mask is in my future.

I have a completely clear mask(Cressi Big Eyes) What I like about the clear frame is that simply by glancing to the side and without turning my head I can tell where my buddy is if they are a buddy that prefers to swim side by side. Couldn't do that with a black mask. Never had any trouble with light reflection but I could see where it might be a consideration for those interested in photography.

My first mask was clear lens, clear skirt; I now dive a black skirt SeaVision Ultra. It's a low volume mask and I get no glare. Besides, you can't beat the view through the color correcting lenses. I've even used it at night with no problems.

My aqualung quartz4 translucent purple is a clear skirt mask (the purple is real good looking).

Picked up a gennis icon clear skirt, like it as well (easier to clear, real low volume).

Been looking at black masks simply since the skirts seem to be a little softer to the touch (that and I can't see didly squat anywhere other than straight ahead neway). Talked to a little fish the other day, he said fish can't tell purple from black anyway so I didn't need to try to impress them.

Brian

texdiveguy:
What is your pick in mask skirt color(clear//black//blue//yellow//gray//??) and why???

I picked a clear skirt and mask body because I had heard this allows more light in and allows for a bit better vision in most conditions. Though I do have my eye on a mask that is black in color, and may just give it a try. I take into account many factors in mask selection.....but for this post was interested in your thoughts on mask color and vision.
I prefer a black skirt just to be able to better focus without light disortion and it doesnt turn yellowish like the clear skirts,i own the cressi big eye and the cressi superoccio masks,a clear skirt doesnt enable you to see more as with a black skirted mask and you surely dont look out to the side trough the clear skirts.Peace :dazzler1:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom