Mask Clearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
A necessary and basic skill that I see even experienced divers struggle with at times...

Hoods & hair complicate matters...

What are some of the tips you have to offer???

Let Uncle start...

Tip:
You don't need to get vertical to clear your mask....
You can clear your mask from the side just as easy as from the bottom....
Horizontal in the water.... or whatever passes for horizontal....
Turn your head and let the water run down to the low side...
Push against the mask lightly at the top side and exhale through your nose...
Try it...
Once perfected (which won't take long) you will be able to do this while swimming without having to stop and go vertical...

Hair getting in the way?

What hair? :(

Who needs it? Just shave it all off about once a month or so. No problem.

I suppose the women might not go for my solution though...

Seriously though, I used to have a beard and moustache. I would shave a thin strip off just below my nose to get a better mask seal before going diving. If you're carefull how you do it, it works just fine and isn't noticable by anyone else.

HOWEVER: if you mess it up, it can mean weeks of embarassment or just shaving the rest of it off (oops)

I recently met a guy who goops up his moustache with vaseline before each dive to get a good seal. He does tech diving and uses high %02 deco gases and it seemed like a bad combination to me (lots of 02 alongside petrolium products in/around the mouth...). He was unconcerned about it though and I wouldn't think it would be an issue for normal air diving.

Originally posted by dc4bs

I recently met a guy who goops up his moustache with vaseline before each dive to get a good seal. He does tech diving and uses high %02 deco gases and it seemed like a bad combination to me (lots of 02 alongside petrolium products in/around the mouth...). He was unconcerned about it though and I wouldn't think it would be an issue for normal air diving.
You may put on his tombstone "Died of terminal stupidity." It may or may not do any good to have him read the accident report on the Apollo Command module fire - and that was at just 1 ATM oxygen.
Oxygen and vaseline are an accident waiting to happen.
Rick

Mask clearing was actaully teh easest skill I had to master in diving! Truth be told I had considerably more trouble with removal and donning of my BCD on the surface while under weight than I did with mask clearing (or antyhing else for that matter)

Two factors make it easy and easier for me.

1) it was easy because I've always had no trouble wimming under water with my eyes open. even in the ocean. So, being able to see your air removing the water from the mask is always helpful. Now I know I am the exception not the rule in this matter of open eyes under water...So...

2) It was easier because I watched everyone else go before me in my class and I noticed the people that tried to rush it had more trouble than the people who were slower. So I resolved to be the slowest. it isnt a race.you dont ahve to get that mask back on in 6 seconds or less or anything. take all the time in the world. Breath slow. Fill it with 3 or 4 breaths over time as you are comfortable. over fill it and press the air out. Doesnt matter what direction yo are facing. You'll get an 80% clear even facing downwards.

Just my techniques.

Visually unimparedly,

Spydertek

Originally posted by dc4bs

Might have to bring up the chicken discussion again :wink: :D.

Mike

I've heard of people doing the same thing with their 'staches and using O2 for a decade. OK, now where's that gol dern chicken!

I think you're fast becoming my cyber diving guru! thanks for the tips...

While I don't have a problem with either flooding or clearing my mask, I always feel that I should be vertical to do it. Must give the ol' head sideways thing a go.:idea:

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
You don't need to get vertical to clear your mask....
You can clear your mask from the side just as easy as from the bottom....
:idea:

I have been working on that alternative orientation mask clearing thing for a number of years now and have yet to get it to work in any other position other than vertical. I guess I will have to keep trying.....although with a FFM, flooding is not usually a problem :D

Rick,

Originally posted by Rick Murchison

You may put on his tombstone "Died of terminal stupidity." It may or may not do any good to have him read the accident report on the Apollo Command module fire - and that was at just 1 ATM oxygen.
Oxygen and vaseline are an accident waiting to happen.
Rick

Not likely in a mask. A spark or other source of ignition is needed. And yes, I've heard of spontaneous combustion, but the situation here isn't close to being right for that.

Originally posted by jmsdiver
although with a FFM, flooding is not usually a problem :D

JMS.... AGA Gold?

BTW do you pratice FFM removal...spare mask donning and alternate air source breathing???

How do you deal with OOA buddy or do you dive w/a buddy???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom