Mask Clearing Video for Noobs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would have been a better video if it had been shot much closer to his face so people could actually see what was happening. There were too many hand gestures which often seemed to block the observers view of his mask.

My suggestion would be to hover in front of the camera so that the picture would be primarily of his face which would make the fully flooded mask more apparent to the viewer. Using each hand he could have secured the mask at the corners, performed the nasal exhalation and the viewer could actually see the water level in the mask "disappear".

I was unsure why he vented his BC to clear the mask???

that was the worst demonstration I have ever seen.

what's with all the showmanship?

That's one of the worst videos of mask clearing I've ever seen...and I've seen a lot of videos of mask clears.

Here is a fantastic video of several mask clears + a great displacement snorkel clear. It's a *.mp4 file so you'll need quicktime.

This is from a student in this semester's rescue class; it isn't me. Mine aren't quite that good. I wish all our students looked that great...this particular student practices his basic skills frequently though, so that's why his mask and snorkel clears look so great.

The problem with the video in the first post is that the guy is a Course Director but he can't clear his mask efficiently. See all the extra hand waving, all the extra bubbles...?

A perfect mask clear has no extra bubbles and clears the mask completely, slowly, and deliberately. The mask clears in the video I posted are almost perfect--a few extra bubbles towards the end of each clear but other than that, they're good.

Anyone should be able to clear their mask at least 3 times on a single breath; more if you're decent. If you have good technique, 6-8 on one breath (plus a good displacement snorkel clear) is easily attainable.

SparticleBrane:
The problem with the video in the first post is that the guy is a Course Director but he can't clear his mask efficiently. See all the extra hand waving, all the extra bubbles...?.

I assumed that he was... overdoing it so that they'd understand the method. The hand waving it beyond me.

His method is ridiculous, too.

Ok, his hand signals broken down from beginning to end. each motion, its own point..
1. Class
2. Look
3. at me
4. Full mask
5. Ill just throw in some confising waving of the hands here..
6. Watch me emptying my BC for no reason whatsoever..
7. Filling the mask..
8. Look! Its full!!
9. Take a deep breath
10. Pointing at the mask for no obvious reason
11. WATCH OR ILL SLAP YOU!! (clinched fist)
12. 5 times!
13. Ill just check if my 2nd stage is still in my mouth here
14. Watch how the water and bubbles come out the side of the mask (pointing)
15. Ill help the bubbles break the surface here..
16. Mask is empty
17. Ok.

5, 6, 10, 11, 12, 13 and 15 seems quite useless to me, other than that the remaining 10 of the 17 points ive listed seems quite understandable for a class enviroment..
As a video to demonstrate a mask clear as such, not really very usefull as you dont really see how hes actually clearing it very well..

SparticleBrane:
Here is a fantastic video of several mask clears + a great displacement snorkel clear. It's a *.mp4 file so you'll need quicktime.
Now THAT is a beautiful piece of video and a very, very nice demonstration of mask clearing technique.. Its worth installing quicktime just to see it, if you dont have it already...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom