Marty's Reef surprise dolphin encounter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shaka Doug

Contributor
Reaction score
Kihei, Maui, Hawaii 96753, middle of the 808!
# of dives
Billy B and I took the torpedo's out to Marty's Reef yesterday. It was starting to get churned up a little near shore so we figured it would be better to head out deep. Marty's had 80-100' visibility and was teaming with fish. We parked the scooters and as we were resting we saw them coming from out of the north east, cruising along the bottom, almost sneaking up on us. It was four bottlenose dolphins and they swam right by us, one going upside down as if she wanted to show off a bit. I'll tell you this was a real treat for me. I dive almost everyday and rarely have dolphin shows. We got to watch them play around for about a minute and a half, then they were gone. Here's a clip if anyone would like to see what it was like. Billy B and I were quite stoked. We had even more luck later on when we were surprised two separate times with appearances by manta rays! I was just telling someone, any dive is a once in a lifetime experience waiting to happen. I just love it! Who wants to scooter out to Marty's with me next?

Last edited:
How cool Doug!

Last time I scootered Marty's the boat dropped us off there and we scootered in toward shore to join everyone at 5-graves. That's really a nice spot of reef.

How many times would you estimate you've come across dolphins since you started diving on Maui?

Thanks for sharing.

Aloha, Tim

Dolphins AND mantas.. Wow, epic dive! Thanks for sharing the video.

Aloha,

NH

Score! Where were they when we dove????? Seriously, very nice.

Awesome videos Doug. See this is why they write songs about you :)

Awesome videos Doug. See this is why they write songs about you :)

Thanks Al, glad you liked them. I put some more up from this morning out at Molokini.

...I'm afraid to ask about the songs though....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom