• Welcome to ScubaBoard

  1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

    Benefits of registering include

    • Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

    Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Marshall Islands - MV Oleanda

Discussion in 'Liveaboards & Charter Boats' started by jkandls, Feb 14, 2006.

  1. jkandls

    jkandls Contributor

    # of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Location: Colorado
    123
    0
    Anybody been on the MV Oleanda ( Marshall Islands ) in the last 6 months or so? Looking for any remarks about there operation. Thanks
     
  2. PacificFlyer

    PacificFlyer Registered

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: Texas
    17
    0
    JK,

    Have not been on this live aboard myself but friends have. I was going to be going on in next month and dive Kwajalein but just got notification of cancellation. Trying to contact them with little luck but they are way out there in the middle of the Pacific so may take a another day or so. I was really looking forward to this trip. Had a week with them followed by a week at Bikini but now not sure. Anybody else out there have any info on Oleanda?
    Ron
     
  3. jkandls

    jkandls Contributor

    # of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Location: Colorado
    123
    0
    My trip got cancelled too in May. Sounds like the military is giving them a hard time. also, just heard some things about the operation ( not good), like too many dive restrictions and bad maintenance on the boat. now I'm trying to see where to go.
     
  4. PacificFlyer

    PacificFlyer Registered

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: Texas
    17
    0
    JK,
    Who did you book your trip on the Oleanda with? What exactly were you told? I booked my own trip and planned a week at Bikini after 8 nights on Oleanda in Kwajalein. My flight reservations are for Honolulu to Kwajalein but will not be able to get off in Kwajalein if Oleanda has been banned from operating there. I also have paid tickets on Air Marshall Islands from Kwaj-Bikini-Kwaj, then back to Honolulu from Kwaj on Continental. I was notified by email that the Kwaj cruises for 2006 were suspended. Also said they were diverting their charters to Arno which is near Majuro. Offered to reschedule or full refund. I emailed back to ask about Arno option but no reply. Tried calling, again no contact. Now just waiting and flight leaves Honolulu on Mon Apr 3. Thinking about going anyway and getting off in Majuro and doing some diving there with Bakko Divers. Anyway any info you or anyone else reading this thread can pass on about Kwaj issues would be appreciated, especially a contact with a travel agent working this issue.
    Cheers
     
  5. jkandls

    jkandls Contributor

    # of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Location: Colorado
    123
    0
    I booked on my own with them direct, got the same excuse, military problems.
    They are slow getting info back to customers. they also offered me possible diving around Majuro, but then told me that most of the customers for May 4-12, wanted refunds, so they did not have enough to go there. I had already booked my airfare too, so now I'm planning on just going on to truk. Also, talked to a couple of travel agents, and they had nothing good to say aboout Rongelap Expiditions. Bad boat maintenance and too many diving restrictions, like time & depth.

    Good luck.......
     
  6. PacificFlyer

    PacificFlyer Registered

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: Texas
    17
    0
    JK,

    Well it is Monday there and still no words from them. Will try and call again. Think I may cancel as well and try and re-book Bikini. Did you get your refund already or are you still waiting? Agree they are slow but have not heard anything negative about operations. They are out in the middle of the Pacific so trying to give them the benefit of the doubt but starting to get a little frustrated since I am supposed to leave here in a week. Enjoy Truk, it is fantastic. Been there twice and doing two weeks back to back next year on the Odyssey. Cheers.
     
  7. Augustus

    Augustus Contributor

    # of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Location: cozumel
    574
    125
     
  8. jkandls

    jkandls Contributor

    # of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Location: Colorado
    123
    0
    They are extremely slow getting back to you. I got lucky and found space on the Thorfinn, so I am just continuing on to Truk. Good luck...
     
  9. Augustus

    Augustus Contributor

    # of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Location: cozumel
    574
    125
    You will like the thornfin. Its a funky operation but the divemasters know what they are doing and cut you slack in the diving. We did a Truk Bikini trip backin 2001. At least the Oleanda notified you a bit more in advance. They just notified us on the cancelation two days ago. I don't think they would have even done that if I had not written earlier last week to confirm everything. Did you get you money back by the way.
     

Share This Page