Marsa Alam in February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveUAE

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all

Looking for advice for hotel in Marsa Alam area in February. Already have the flights booked.

Yes, I know it will be “cold” - it’s our “warm up”-trip before Galapagos in April😎 We want to test 7 mm suits etc, so should be perfect for us.

This trip we’re bringing our 12 year old, who do not dive (she’s a fairly strong swimmer and might snorkel a bit). She’s into pretty reef and fish … throw in a turtle or shark and she’s very happy- but for some reason she don’t like dolphins🤷‍♀️ Don’t even like seeing them from the boat …

My SIL (64 years old, AOWD with about 50 dives - she learned to dive at a senior age and is not the best diver, but we’re DM and OWSI, so will keep an eye out for her) is also joining us.

What we’re looking for: AI hotel with good food and heated pool. A water park would be awesome - but I’m a bit afraid that February will be too cold to really enjoy it? (Though we live in Denmark now we’re still prone to be cold after 11 year in UAE).

Dive center with boat trips to Elphinstone on site and good house reef, so we can do 1-2 dives and still spend the day with our daughter.

I would love to see dolphins and a dugong if possible.

Not looking to leave the hotel (other than on a boat for diving)

Currently I have us booked in TC Equinox, but I can easily change that.
What I worry the most about is the trip to Elphinstone- since Equinox is located far away from everything else, will they be able to gather the 8 divers for the trip on a day the sea is calm enough to go…
On the other hand it seems the house reef is great and we can dive there even if the weather is not the best?

Thanks!

TC Equinox is a good hotel, not fancy, not top notch, but good.
The Equinox Divers are a great crew and very well organised. They will easily take you to Elphinstone, either by Zodiac or with a bigger boat on a full day trip with 2 dives. That boat starts from the jetty nearby.
The house reef and the Abu Dabbab sites are very nice spots: a lot of life and the bay is a well known spot for dugongs.
You may get in touch with Equinox Divers and ask what their "winter" schedule for boat trip is. But in any case Zodiac to the Abu Dababs will be available and the house reef is pretty easy to access, for snorkeling too.

Hi all

Looking for advice for hotel in Marsa Alam area in February. Already have the flights booked.

Yes, I know it will be “cold” - it’s our “warm up”-trip before Galapagos in April😎 We want to test 7 mm suits etc, so should be perfect for us.

This trip we’re bringing our 12 year old, who do not dive (she’s a fairly strong swimmer and might snorkel a bit). She’s into pretty reef and fish … throw in a turtle or shark and she’s very happy- but for some reason she don’t like dolphins🤷‍♀️ Don’t even like seeing them from the boat …

My SIL (64 years old, AOWD with about 50 dives - she learned to dive at a senior age and is not the best diver, but we’re DM and OWSI, so will keep an eye out for her) is also joining us.

What we’re looking for: AI hotel with good food and heated pool. A water park would be awesome - but I’m a bit afraid that February will be too cold to really enjoy it? (Though we live in Denmark now we’re still prone to be cold after 11 year in UAE).

Dive center with boat trips to Elphinstone on site and good house reef, so we can do 1-2 dives and still spend the day with our daughter.

I would love to see dolphins and a dugong if possible.

Not looking to leave the hotel (other than on a boat for diving)

Currently I have us booked in TC Equinox, but I can easily change that.
What I worry the most about is the trip to Elphinstone- since Equinox is located far away from everything else, will they be able to gather the 8 divers for the trip on a day the sea is calm enough to go…
On the other hand it seems the house reef is great and we can dive there even if the weather is not the best?

Thanks!

Is there a heated pool at any of the sites? To me it looks great for divers, not for families…

Is there a heated pool at any of the sites? To me it looks great for divers, not for families…

I don't know about the pool. I know that it is awesome for divers and snorkelers with EXCELLENT food (based on feedback from people who went there. No one had any complaint and I have talked to a lot of people).

I suggest that you communicate with them concerning activities for the non-divers and kids and get from them what activities they can arrange for them.

TC Equinox is a good hotel, not fancy, not top notch, but good.
The Equinox Divers are a great crew and very well organised. They will easily take you to Elphinstone, either by Zodiac or with a bigger boat on a full day trip with 2 dives. That boat starts from the jetty nearby.
The house reef and the Abu Dabbab sites are very nice spots: a lot of life and the bay is a well known spot for dugongs.
You may get in touch with Equinox Divers and ask what their "winter" schedule for boat trip is. But in any case Zodiac to the Abu Dababs will be available and the house reef is pretty easy to access, for snorkeling too.
Thank you! - it sounds like a good place for us.

I have been in contact with extra divers Equinox about the schedule and feedback was: “we go to Elphinstone with minimum 8 divers.”
While I do understand there’s a minimum number of divers 8 seems high to me for a dive site that’s only 15 min away (would have expected 4). But maybe it’s easy to reach 8 divers 1-2 times a week, I don’t know (I’ve tried to ask, how many times a week they “usually” go in the winter months)
Anyway it’s leading me to look at other hotels, where there’s a (better?) chance of diving Elphinstone at least once during our trip (weather permitting)

The minimum o
“we go to Elphinstone with minimum 8 divers.”
While I do understand there’s a minimum number of divers 8 seems high to me for a dive site that’s only 15 min away [...]
That looks like the minimum number to go with the boat, not by zodiac.
Marsa Shagra also have zodiac trips to Elphinstone.
Re the pools: Don't know if heated at TC Equinox, but don't think so. And Marsa Shagra does not have one.
TC Equinox may be more for families, although quite remote. I remember they have some kind of entertainement during the day and in the evening. We had our room in building 1, first floor, directly near the dive centre and did not get disturbed by any noise.
Marsa Shagra is very remote and very focused on divers. Don't expect anything else there. But it is a bucket list destination for many.

you may also try Fayrouz Plaza Beach Resort***** - TTC Hotels

any dive center will pick you up there, but there is also a diving center onsite
Thank you. I did consider them, but someone, who stayed there recently said the reef is exposed and often has red flag, so going there in Feb I think would be a risk ... but food seems to be better than Equinox.

I'm thinking we may have to come back several times and try different resort every time;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom