Marriard likes Turtles...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marriard

Contributor
Reaction score
and Turtles like Marriard...

When the vis is up in West Palm Beach, Florida, you will not find better diving anywhere.

Hawksbill Turtles

22004_0510_024745AA_1.jpg

22004_0510_024744AA_1.jpg

Loggerhead Turtles
22004_0510_043244AA_2.jpg

22004_0510_043241AA_1.jpg

All images taken with the 12-24mm lens - generally at 1/60 and F6.7, ASA100 and a pair of Inon 220 strobes at -1/-1 - or at least within a stop or two of each setting.

Enjoy,
M

Marriard...in those last two shots, the turtle looks alo lighter...lighter shell edges, golden brown on the head, etc. in comparison to the others where those areas are very dark colored, almost black, in the same areas. Do turtles really vary that much in coloration? Or is this just a result of your lighting?

all great photos!

I don't know how it is there but we have lighter, almost ivory with a green tinge and darker turtles here and every shade in between too! Makes it easier for us to tell them apart. :wink: If you look at the pictures closely you can see that the spots are not colored the same on the two turtles. The ones' spots are fully colored and the other has more like dots in the middle. Pretty cool...

Dee:
Marriard...in those last two shots, the turtle looks alo lighter...lighter shell edges, golden brown on the head, etc. in comparison to the others where those areas are very dark colored, almost black, in the same areas. Do turtles really vary that much in coloration? Or is this just a result of your lighting?
all great photos!

Well the species are all different for a start - Leatherbacks for example are all black.

Truly turtles can vary in color pretty heavily. Loggerheads are prettier when they are younger and smaller (like this one).

The old ones can get pretty ugly and often pale or completely dark. I have even seen one in the Boynton area that was almost a pure white color. I guess living 100+ years will do that to you.

The big ones are really tough to light underwater - if I was topside I would be calling for lots and lots of soft light bouncing off some light colored paper backgrounds...

M

wow.... very nice!

i love hawskbill turtles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom