Marketing Tricks for last minute Charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tortuga James

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I find myself very frustrated when the conditions are good and the weather is nice and I don't have a charter. I don't have a brick and mortar retail location, so walk in traffic is nonexistant. My dock doesn't even get walk by traffic.

I actively reach out to divers I know who can do a trip at the last minute by personal and mass emails, I post on local boards as well as here, I call shops about putting something together, I even call good customers and offer them a discount to put a trip together. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes not.

Oh, and I am trying the twitter thing to get instant updates out to customers.

http://twitter.com/TortugaCharters

How do you guys hustle up a last minute trip when you are open?

I have made up cards for local divers that can be bought for dives for 50% off. The only stipulation is that they are on a "student stand by" basis. So if I get 2 or 3 full price divers wanting to go I can shoot a quick e-mail, or phone call to those holding these cards and pick up a few more seats, even if only at half price, it makes the charter work.

I have made up cards for local divers that can be bought for dives for 50% off. The only stipulation is that they are on a "student stand by" basis. So if I get 2 or 3 full price divers wanting to go I can shoot a quick e-mail, or phone call to those holding these cards and pick up a few more seats, even if only at half price, it makes the charter work.

So they prepay for the half price cards? That is a good idea. It motivates the divers to take advantage of the offer and use their cards.

I advertise that I charter the boat only, base fee plus fuel, but I often find myself telling a short group that I will fill the other seats for them.

How do you handle the Fickle Diver who says that they cant dive today because its Raining or too sunny or some other Crazy typical Excuse. so they just pull a No-Show on you and then you have a short boat .

It takes X number of passengers to make it worth the time to Turn the Key. You still have to pay, Capt, Crew, Insurance, Mortgage, Maintaince, Dock, Advertising.

If the boats not making money hauling Divers it could be hauling Cargo or Fisherman, Duck Hunters or sightseeing. None of which mix.

AutoBaun John: "Oh Look Dear thaer goes a wabbleback snatchsucker Mallard. "

Peta Rita: "Yes Dear, Tisint it Lovely?"

Bubba Du'Gunner: " Blam, and Tastey Too!"

Attachments

• cartoon20080416.jpg
    cartoon20080416.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 44
I have always got a credit card # before hand. I havn't run dive charters but I have done fishing charters and tours. I always say the boat leaves if the conditions are safe rain or shine if they don't go you can at least take 20% if they decide not to. If the conditions are unsafe they get a full refund.

I find myself very frustrated when the conditions are good and the weather is nice and I don't have a charter. I don't have a brick and mortar retail location, so walk in traffic is nonexistant. My dock doesn't even get walk by traffic.

I actively reach out to divers I know who can do a trip at the last minute by personal and mass emails, I post on local boards as well as here, I call shops about putting something together, I even call good customers and offer them a discount to put a trip together. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes not.

Oh, and I am trying the twitter thing to get instant updates out to customers.

James Rosemond (TortugaCharters) on Twitter

How do you guys hustle up a last minute trip when you are open?
I hear the same thing form my buddies who do fishing charters. That's just the way it is.
I used to do consulting... Some days my brain was sharp as a tack, and no work. The flip side is having charters and the weather is awful. If only it were as easy as those boats in a popular vacation location selling out 1 hour before they untie...

Try to see how many of the local dive shops have dive clubs. each club usually has a set of officers. Get to know those guys offer them some comp. trips if you have the room and the boat is going out anyway. These guys will think you can do no wrong and talk you up at every monthly meeting. Remember the officers have to be there every month, that's like 12 free advertisements.

Back
Top Bottom