market research info needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nehallenia

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Does anyone know where to get stats on the number of divers, age, income, etc. - basic info on a demographic group - about divers in various countries? We seem to be a mysterious lot, or I just can't seem to hit the right button on this one. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Have you poked about in DAN? Looks like they do collect demographics (as do other groups), the question would be how to obtain an extract.

Also, though US-oriented, see:
http://www.lynnseldon.com/article318.html
Do a search for the phrase "diver demographics" to get to the right section of the above link.

This is actually one of the hardest things to find any accurate info on. While DAN has some demographic info from injury reports and PDE, it is not very detailed for most divers. We're talking age, gender and smoker/non-smoker. AFAIK, the agencies will not release the information, though they would know how many divers are certified each year. I think I have seen estimated total number of divers floating around, but nothing accurate enough for statistical research. I cannot, for the life of me, remember where I have seen data, probably doing instructor training, and possibly from DAN, but its been a few years since I have seen any of it. Good luck.

markfm:
In the US, there's at least older data from the equipment manufacturers' org.
http://www.dema.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=290
The entry-level diver certs are interesting, though no demographics.
http://www.dema.org/associations/1017/files/MarketResearch-SportsParticipation1999.pdf
sounds like the kind of data you were asking about, though it's US-specific, unfortunately, and several years old.

Thanks to everyone who has replied thus far, I will pursue all avenues.

Does anyone have any idea why this info is so difficult to obtain? In my own province, the Underwater Council doesn't even have this information, and the current head told me it is difficult to get, agencies and even retailers keep a pretty tight grip.

Undercurrent also recently ran an article warning this isolationism and disorganization threatens the health of the diving industry.

Different specific locales have at least some of the data, just hard to search down.
I'm not surprised at the difficulty to dig out good high-level data. Knowledge is $. The equipment manufacturers groups and dive societies all want you to pay $ to access more current/complete data. There are some people who do professional seminars on the dive industry -- again, pay $ and you'll get to see the statistics on diving and expected growth.
The societies get their info from people joining them, the equipment vendors get their data from all those little equipment cards that they ask you to fill in when you do warranty registration. Govt. agencies generally don't have the interest/$ to take dive-specific censuses, although again there are local initiatives/studies out there, just not worldwide information (short of getting the societies to part with their closely-held member data).
A variant of the PADI slogan -- "Buy things -- fill out cards -- be counted!"

markfm:
Different specific locales have at least some of the data, just hard to search down.
I'm not surprised at the difficulty to dig out good high-level data. Knowledge is $. The equipment manufacturers groups and dive societies all want you to pay $ to access more current/complete data. There are some people who do professional seminars on the dive industry -- again, pay $ and you'll get to see the statistics on diving and expected growth.
The societies get their info from people joining them, the equipment vendors get their data from all those little equipment cards that they ask you to fill in when you do warranty registration. Govt. agencies generally don't have the interest/$ to take dive-specific censuses, although again there are local initiatives/studies out there, just not worldwide information (short of getting the societies to part with their closely-held member data).
A variant of the PADI slogan -- "Buy things -- fill out cards -- be counted!"

Looks as if your info is going to be quite useful, Mark, thanks. The challenge is to somehow integrate the demographic and consumer info. I am hoping the provincial and state SCUBA organizations will be more forthcoming with info, since they are non-profits.

I just read an article that stated the "average" diver makes over $100,000 a year and makes and average of 4 big trips a year.

Dang,, its a bummer being below average.

RICHinNC:
I just read an article that stated the "average" diver makes over $100,000 a year and makes and average of 4 big trips a year.

Dang,, its a bummer being below average.

Where? Where did you read it?? And are there any clues in the article about how the author obtained that information? Please, please tell me!

(If it makes you feel any better, I am below average too - like, WAY . . .)

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom