Market Q's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Salt Dog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have read through just about every post in the commercial forum here, and have come across a lot of post about how bad the job environment is out there, but the last thread ended at the beginning of 2010 I was just wondering if it has improved any since then?

I have contacted a few of the large Contractors and they are posting hiring notices so I was a little confused, is it as bad out there as it sounds or is it just the offshore companies hiring and no one else?

I am just out of the Marine Corps and am looking to diving as my second income so I am a little more flexible then the average person, I'm willing to take the sh**ty jobs and travel. I would like to find work in Alaska since that is where we are headed but, would consider anywhere. I am set up to attend an academy but before I go just wanted to hear from you guys.

I graduated from school a few months back. There are companys hiring but dont expect to get a job 10 mins from home. I am extremely lucky and ended up getting that. Now, just because I was hired doesnt mean its a 9-5 job. Take into account nights, weekends missed holidays etc etc and the waiting in between jobs. I know more than a handful of people that got jobs a few days out of school, some who graduated 6 months ago and still dont have work. It all comes down to your desire and drive. If you dont mind traveling and working a ton, then having a dry spell and having inconsistant pay ( depending on company and job description) then you shouldnt have a problem if you have the determination.

Back
Top Bottom