Marker Bouy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tainosoldier

Reaction score
I have been reading a couple of dive books, and have come across pages where divers would shoot up a bouy of some sort in an emergency ascent. Is this the same thing? And what exactly should this emergency ascent line look like? Should a rec diver carry one, as I read this in a book concerning Andrea Doria, those divers are of course technical.

tainosoldier:
I have been reading a couple of dive books, and have come across pages where divers would shoot up a bouy of some sort in an emergency ascent. Is this the same thing? And what exactly should this emergency ascent line look like? Should a rec diver carry one, as I read this in a book concerning Andrea Doria, those divers are of course technical.

The surface marker bouy is sent up when ascent on the anchor line isn't possible to let the surface support (boat) know where you are. It can also be used to alert them of problems. The UK divers use a Yellow buoy to signal thet they need assistance (more deco gas ect)

http://www.deepsouthdivers.org/training.html bag deployment

http://www.frogkick.dk/multimedia/video/fifthd/ shoot bag

http://www.fifthd.com/fifthdnew/education/videos.asp?from=education&level=1

Search for threads using "safety equipment" & "safety devices".
Most people concur that some sort of sausage is an essential safety device for practically any type of OW diving.
I never dive without one although the size really depends on where I'm diving.

They are also used sometimes to "float" a surface marker for when doing a safety stop or a deco stop. This lets the boat know where you are. If you are in a current, it also allows them to track you easier or know that you are drifting.

Ben that was some awesome links! Its great to have ready info from everyone. Later!

Certainly here "normal" DSMBs are orange in colour and a yellow bag means theres a problem - usually need more gas or a slate up with it.
Its not an official agency trained standard but its one that most divers and boat captains are aware of and use.

I sure wish that people in the states would use the orange-normal/ yellow-emergency color scheme for DSMB's like divers do in the UK. On any given boat in Florida on any given day, you'll have people with orange, yellow, and fluorescent green sausages, so the colors are meaningless as signals. Plus if there are more than 6 people, you'll probably get one of the yellow/orange combination floats.
I guess one of these days, someone will have a three-sided float with orange/yellow AND fluorescent green panels.

Tom Winters:
I sure wish that people in the states would use the orange-normal/ yellow-emergency color scheme for DSMB's like divers do in the UK. On any given boat in Florida on any given day, you'll have people with orange, yellow, and fluorescent green sausages, so the colors are meaningless as signals. Plus if there are more than 6 people, you'll probably get one of the yellow/orange combination floats.
I guess one of these days, someone will have a three-sided float with orange/yellow AND fluorescent green panels.
It seems that every group I'm in has one of those dual-color sausages. Oh wait, that would be mine!

I actually used it for the first time last month when we got separated from the DM on a drift dive.

-Rob

Tom Winters:

Tom,
I also like their SMB protocols... Standardized marking and procedures... Maybe one of these days GUE or some other agency will jump on board and make things easier. I'm sure if clubs adopted these protocols eventually it would catch on
Here's a link to what we're talking about

http://www.bitz.fsnet.co.uk/bitzyellowsmbs.htm

I got one of those Oceanic 2 color sausages, since I deploy only at the surface (no deco right now), I can decide which side is facing the boat.

I explain to the captn. in advance the color protocol and no problems arrise from the use of this sausage.

If I decide to do deco diving, I'll probably carry one each color and deploy acording to the situation.

Just my $0.02

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom