Marjory Brown

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LobMan

Registered
Reaction score
what are the conditions of this wreck? i know it went down off of the coast of LI, and her crew was rescued by the steamer Berlin, how far down is it? and whats the viz?

Who was the person "Marjory Brown" that the schooner was named after ?
I have, here in the UK, three water-colour paintings of sailing ships, no artists name, and only the Marjory Brown is titled. It looks like the painting was done from one of a sequence of photo's taken from the Berlin as "Madge" went down. That photo is held by the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich, U.K.. or, at least, it was about 20+ years ago when I was trying to find out more about this beautiful little painting.
Anyone photographed the wreck yet ? Cheers LazyB

I would also like to find out information on the Marjory Brown and I'm looking for some direction. My Great-Grandfather was Joseph Walker the captain of the Majory Brown. I was intrigued by your mention of the paintings and would appreciate getting a look at them. I have seen an old German postcard of the rescue of the MB crew by the Berlin/Bremin steamship. The postcard, and some of the images of the ship sinking, can be viewed in the on-line Eastman archives. I've heard conflicting accounts that the ship went down either off the cost of Perth Amboy, NJ USA or Long Island, USA.

If you can find a picture of the postcard on the internet (try a search on google using : " wreck of the Marjory Brown") my ancestor is the tall white-haird gentleman in the middle of the photo standing next to the Berlin's captain. It's funny, had it been a year later my Great Grandad and the rest of the crew would have been taken as prisoners. I know from stories that he often would to carry exotic woods as cargo, however, I don't know what the Marjory Brown was carrying on its last voyage. Also, I'm not certain, but I seem to recall the ship was dammaged by rough seas.

It would be great if I could find out more about the ship.

Regards,

MT

Who was the person "Marjory Brown" that the schooner was named after ?
I have, here in the UK, three water-colour paintings of sailing ships, no artists name, and only the Marjory Brown is titled. It looks like the painting was done from one of a sequence of photo's taken from the Berlin as "Madge" went down. That photo is held by the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich, U.K.. or, at least, it was about 20+ years ago when I was trying to find out more about this beautiful little painting.
Anyone photographed the wreck yet ? Cheers LazyB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom