Marine Paint - Gel coat - other?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ana

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Summer appears to be over and it is time. We blinked and 16 years have gone by since we bought our Parker.
Mechanically is close to perfection but suddenly is looking very old, specially inside the cabin.
We never managed to clean up the surface rust of the window frames, and the carpet covering the cabin just fully gave up.
What once looked almost luxurious as headliner and all around the V berth, now seems like may be the source of a contagious disease. The sections where it isn't wore out is just disintegrating, the slightest touch produces a cloud of dust.
Anyways, the plan is to remove all that carpet, now that we have working outdoors weather for a couple of months.
We know the area underneath will have wood with a ton of dried up glue and many imperfections. I figure there will be plenty of sanding and some sort of surface preparation, before the "whatever we decide" is applied.
Just not sure what to use for those surfaces.
The only thing we know for sure is that we want to put something that can be wiped at cleaning time, so defineyly no carpet or any fabric.

I'd like to take into account the effort in labor and money for both: the preparation and application. The plan is to take this coming week or so to decide what will it be, so we can begin planing the sequence of tasks.
Being old and lazy, I'm thinking we would do it in sections. For sure we start with a small section as a test.

So what would you use and why? Would love to hear from all but specially from @Wookie and @CuzzA

So what would you use and why?
The problem with alot of different paints is all that moisture makes most paints leech out any colors/oils/yellowing from underneath. AWL GRIP is the only paint product we've used on the inside that will 'seal' and not change color. Getting that carpet glue off is tough. Most people work in 1ft squares. Use a heat gun to soften it up first, then immediately hit it with a Zec #16 disc & grind it. It's dusty, but the 2 step process goes really quick. That AWL GRIP will last longer than your boat when used on the inside and you can even spray it down with a low percentage bleach mixture and it won't hurt it.

+1 for Awl-Grip.

For the deck, I personally would sand it, seal it, and then use a product like Seadek or one of the hundreds of clones like it.

For some reason my facebook feed is full of these products, although I have teak and holly sole plywood interior and nonskid Awl-Grip outside.

I do not use Awl-grip on mine, I use a commercial Hempel one part acrylic enamel that is specifically for aluminum and steel boats. I can apply the Hempel without screwing it up and it looks good, and if I don't like it, I can sand it and re-apply within 30 days and it will still bond with the base coat.

Awl-Grip is a pain in the ass to apply and make it look good.

You may find it worth your expense to just tear out the floor and replace it with new deck boards instead of sand the old deck boards down.

+1 for Awl-Grip.

For the deck, I personally would sand it, seal it, and then use a product like Seadek or one of the hundreds of clones like it.
Believe it or not the actual deck (and the hull) are the best looking elements on the vessel.

I was referring to the top of the cabin (is it call "ceiling" in a boat?) and the walls. Those areas were originally covered with carpet.

For the deck after we take care of "everything" else, the plan is to go with either Seadek or a clone. But I figured that may be sometime in 2024. The window frames will either be cleaned/polished or I'll find a replacement, i get the feeling that will hurt ...either to our endurance or our pockets.

I will investigate this Awl-Grit.

is it call "ceiling" in a boat?
headliner or overhead

I personally like 3/16" or 1/8" starboard. It's there forever.

Reactions: Ana
headliner or overhead

I personally like 3/16" or 1/8" starboard. It's there forever.
Starboard ? I love that material! but you mean a solid piece shoved up there. How?

I'm not sure if the photos show, but it isn't flat, it has a curvature to it, plus we have all kind of things in there. Probably will require more precision than we can provide, but for sure will look amazing forever.

Attachments

• PXL_20221029_170831264.jpg
    PXL_20221029_170831264.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 77
  • PXL_20221029_164848265.jpg
    PXL_20221029_164848265.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 81
YouTube search "boat headliner replacement". Lots of options and you'll get an idea of the amount of work for each one.

• Thanks
Reactions: Ana

Back
Top Bottom