Marine Life Collecting Unregulated in Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jayfl77

Reaction score
Going to be on the big island next month for 10 days. I plan on doing some doing some fishing and was checking out the fishing regulations for Hawaii. It seems like there are no regulations like I am used to down here in florida. Seems like you could pick a reef clean of snails and hermits. It doesn't seem right that there's hardly any regulations at all except dont take hard corals and live rock. Am I missing a site or does Hawaii really need to change some of it's regulations.

Any good Scuba Operators in the Big island you guys would recommend?

There are fishing regulations, but they're pretty minimal. Although Hawaii definitely does need better regulation in some areas, the state's resources are very limited in that area. Also, since so many different types of people depend on the ocean for recreation and/or earning a living, there never seems to be much agreement on what the rules ought to be.

I don't think snails and hermit crabs are endangered, though.

In Hawaii, the scuba community is predominantly photog's and sightseer's. Hunting/fishing is done from shore or freediving. Aquarium collectors usually dive alone and away from popular dive sites. If you bring a spear on a scuba dive, you might get pounded or have your vehicle vandalized, even by freedive spearo's, so we really have little need for regulations.:D

There are size and bag limits for many crustations and fish, closed seasons, restricted and closed areas as well as some fish that are indefinately no-take. Have you tried yahooing or googeling Hawaii fishing regulations? (always a good first choice):eyebrow:

Edit: Not to late to add that fishing also happens from boats, but no scuba boats off the top of my head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom