Mares

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Morg_NZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey there folks,

Has anyone everheard of the " Mares Antarctic 2pc 7mm Semidry suit"??

I've possible got a nice little lead on and want to know is it's someone yanking my chain or talking the talk......................I've done a google but so far nothing that I can sink my teeth into.

I'D LIKE YOU HELP LOOKING IT UP....:05:

I know it isn't listed on Mares web site. I would think that being a 2 piece would defeat the whole idea of being semi dry. I guess there could be a seal around the bottom of the jacket.

crpntr133:
I know it isn't listed on Mares web site. I would think that being a 2 piece would defeat the whole idea of being semi dry. I guess there could be a seal around the bottom of the jacket.
Yeh, have you seen it reviewed antwhere????

Did a internet search with no luck. It seems that the suit you are looking for is either no longer available or was never available. I would tend to say that it was never available. Like I said earlier, 2 piece defeats the semi-dry idea.

You can get 2 piece semi-dries. Theyre popular here.

The under thing has semi dry seals on the legs and is a t-shirt type upper with a seal on the arms.

The overjacket has wrist seals and neck seals. They work perfectly well and you tend to see far far more 2 piece 7mm under + 7mm top suit semi dry suits here than 1 pieces.

String:
You can get 2 piece semi-dries. Theyre popular here.

The under thing has semi dry seals on the legs and is a t-shirt type upper with a seal on the arms.

The overjacket has wrist seals and neck seals. They work perfectly well and you tend to see far far more 2 piece 7mm under + 7mm top suit semi dry suits here than 1 pieces.
How do they go for warmth??????????..............Wales isn't known for being the "tropical" water temp destination!!!. I thought that everyone there dived dry??????

Most people who dive more than a year get a dry suit yes but most people learn on a semi-dry (i was one of the exceptions).

Warmth wise, its subjective, ive seen some people do 50 min dives in 8c water and not go blue, ive seen others knock a dive in 15c water on the head after 30 mins due to cold.

Surface interval if anything hits them worse than the water itself when you combine wind, rain (increased wind if on a RIB) and so on. 8c water with 28c air maybe ok, 8c water with 4c air is a very different prospect. Ive seen some people curled up on the RIB floor out of the wind shaking. Semi dry wearers are far less likely to do the 2nd dive of the day (or 3rd) as they tend not to recover from the first chill either.

Regarding the semi dry suits its (apparently!) generally accepted here a 2 piece 7mm + 7mm semi dry suit is warmer than a one piece. The bottom part seals the body from the water and the top half provides another layer of seals to prevent water flushing and even then once its past the over jacket its still not past the underjacket and in contact with the skin.

I personally wont dive here any time of the year wet but lots of people do.

Back
Top Bottom