Mares XTR 2nd stage ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

koraldon:
Hi,
I'm looking at getting a used regulator and have been offered a Mares MR12 with an XTR 2nd stage.
I didn't find any 2nd stage by that name on the web, so I'm lost...
Any one heard of such a 2nd stage?

thanks
p.s. this is the only helpful link i have found -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/im...4168?_encoding=UTF8&n=507846&s=sporting-goods

Basically just an orbiter... but I'd tell you if getting a Mares, go with the V series 1st stage... V16, V32 instead of the MR12. Unless you have a good friend in a dive shop who has a shoe box full of seats. They're pretty good regs... but plan on holding to the 100 dives, or 1 year annual service intervals. The spherical core seat in the V series will at least double the life expectancy between rebuilds.

koraldon:
Hi,
I'm looking at getting a used regulator and have been offered a Mares MR12 with an XTR 2nd stage.
I didn't find any 2nd stage by that name on the web, so I'm lost...
Any one heard of such a 2nd stage?

thanks
p.s. this is the only helpful link i have found -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/im...4168?_encoding=UTF8&n=507846&s=sporting-goods

The XTR was actually a rebadged Akros/Epos second stage. This was a very good second stage that offered some of the cold water benefits of metal second stages. The metal inserts were designed to transfer some of the warmth of the surrounding water to the housing, thereby warming the gas more so than if the entire housing were composed of polymers. I use three of the Akros regs, but actually prefer the cover of the XTR/Epos for its ease of removal both above water and below.

Larry is correct in the area of HP seats. I recommend using the new polymer HP poppet seats. I typically get around 100-150 hours on the original style seats. The newest variety are proving to be superior in longevity.

Greg

Greg Barlow:
The XTR was actually a rebadged Akros/Epos second stage. This was a very good second stage that offered some of the cold water benefits of metal second stages. The metal inserts were designed to transfer some of the warmth of the surrounding water to the housing, thereby warming the gas more so than if the entire housing were composed of polymers. I use three of the Akros regs, but actually prefer the cover of the XTR/Epos for its ease of removal both above water and below.

Larry is correct in the area of HP seats. I recommend using the new polymer HP poppet seats. I typically get around 100-150 hours on the original style seats. The newest variety are proving to be superior in longevity.

Greg

Ooops.. Yea, I guess you're right on that... the photo looked like it was an all metal version like the orbitor... But, now I remember... your'e right about that Epos...

Thanks for the rapid answer.

So here are my choices:
get a shiny new R2/Axis pro w/Axis pro octopus and gauge for ~300 USD
or get a used (200-300 dives) MR12/Epos w/Axis octopus and gauge for ~200 USD.
The used set is a safari outfit set, and will be given a service before I buy it. (the outfit is a reliable place btw)

What do you recommend?

That's a standard price for that package... we sell them all the time - and if the used stuff is clean - it's probably a decent deal at that price as well.... So for me the deciding factor would be the first stages on the regs. The R2 is a non balanced piston. Not great if going real deep - but if recreational diving, probably more dependable than the MR12. So if those two were my only choices in life - I'd do the new R2 setup.

Back
Top Bottom