Mares Vs Aqualung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taherj

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi guys,
I have recently got my divemaster certification in Sri Lanka and would like to invest in gear. ( I will be diving in mostly Tropical Waters) I will some times be diving to a depth of 60 Meters.

I've been doing a lot of research and have finally narrowed down to 2 brands. (because i think they are the largest/well recognized in what they do) Mares and Aqualung.

The problem is i keep going back and fourth between the Aqualung Pro QD with i3 and Legend Regulator and the Mares Dragon AT with Abyss 22 or the new CARBON Reg.

I would really appreciate any input on these and help deciding what i should buy. Ive read that the i3 and AT systems have been very successful.

As for the Mask i was thinking about Mares Liquid Skin and Fins Mares Excel or Aqualung Sling Shot. Again any input will be appreciated.

I can definetly vouch for the quality of Mares gear. But I think what would be most important is which brand you can more easily get serviced/ warrantied near you! Scuba gear needs maintenance and that is an important factor to consider when buying gear! If you have to ship it away for 3 months to have it serviced, that's not very good.

I just have a small cmment about your description of use, because it wasn't exactly clear... 60 meters? Are you intending on using the BCD to that depth? Or just the reg? That wasn't clear. You do know that is technical depths with decompression planning, don't you? And a BCD isn't the right gear for that kind of diving... The Mares Abyss reg on the other hand is their more technical oriented regulator. If I was going to be using my reg for Technical diving, that is the model I would choose! It's know as a great deep water reg.

Just my 0.02$:coffee:

I can definetly vouch for the quality of Mares gear. But I think what would be most important is which brand you can more easily get serviced/ warrantied near you! Scuba gear needs maintenance and that is an important factor to consider when buying gear! If you have to ship it away for 3 months to have it serviced, that's not very good.

I just have a small cmment about your description of use, because it wasn't exactly clear... 60 meters? Are you intending on using the BCD to that depth? Or just the reg? That wasn't clear. You do know that is technical depths with decompression planning, don't you? And a BCD isn't the right gear for that kind of diving... The Mares Abyss reg on the other hand is their more technical oriented regulator. If I was going to be using my reg for Technical diving, that is the model I would choose! It's know as a great deep water reg.

Just my 0.02$:coffee:

Hi Thanks for your reply !

First of all, unfortunately there aren't any dive shops or dealers of any dive gear here. So either way ill have to get it serviced when im traveling or just send it across.

I am going to do the tech course and be diving to those depths 50/60 mtrs. Would a bcd be enough or would i have to invest in a wing/back plate etc.. ? (any particular brands ?)

Mostly though it'll be only recreational diving to around 40 meters at the most, so i dont know if i should be investing in separate sets for rec and tech or get some thing that i could do both with ?

cheers

A second vote for the Mares MR22 Abyss. Simple, rugged, "work horse" regulator.

If you are going to be doing deep decompression dives you are probably going to be diving with double tanks, thus will need a backplate / wing (BP/W).

A third vote for the Mares MR22 Abyss. One of the best regs made.

I dive an Aqualung Legend (w/ octo), as well as an Atomic T2. I use these interchangeably on a ProQD and recently got an I3.

On the regulators, both of them breathe very, very smoothly. I've only had them down to 110 feet, but both are great.

On the I3, you'll like the flat valves and smaller "profile". This makes a huge difference in the water, as your BC inflator hose goes down the back, alongside the tank, then under your left arm (takes a longer hose, which comes with the I3). The valves are one-way and do not let water enter the BC when purging. If you dive a lot in current, you'll notice the less drag on the I3. I still have my Pro QD, and use it for class, as is still has an easily recognizalbe setup for the inflator button, as well as orally inflating when teaching ESA along with the bobbing method to manually inflate BC.

I can't say much on the Mares stuff, as all of the Aqualung stuff I have is bulletproof, IMO....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom