Mares Volo Power

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pac

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Mares Volvo Power open heel fins I purchased in August from LDS (authorized dealer) are coming apart.

On both fins, where the hard rubber reinforced spine (with the logo "volopower") joins the soft rubber edge at the end of the fin, there is breakage. Each fin is actually split open at this joint on each side. I was surprised as I have only used these for the indoor pool sessions and less than 10 open water dives from a boat. Just general use, nothing very demanding.

Please advise. Thanks!

ps - any other Mares fins better construction/design in the event that LDS wants to replace?

Hi Pac,

Sorry to hear your fins are separating. This can be claimed under warranty if as you say is from general use. I would suggest this is a soft spot on the fin, and excessive use in a pool will lead to this scenario. In a pool often the fins are used to push or touch the bottom of the pool in a fashion they are not designed to do repeatedly, resulting in the splitting. In the open water this doesn't happen even after years of diving. We do offer fins that will hold up better in the pool should that be where you foresee your time spent. Quattro Excel, Quattro, Super Channel, or even X3. All of these are phenomenal fins for the price.

Bottom line is if you are going to be an open water diver, looking for an exceptional fin, then I would stick with the Volo's. Much pool time, look at the Avanti Quattro, or Superchannel.

I hope this helps and thanks for the post.

Best,

Thanks for the quick reply Zak! Very helpful as I'm planning on meeting with my LDS this week.

The information you have provided about the different fins in other threads has also been a great resource.

I ended up with replacement fins under warranty through LDS.

Zak, do you have any suggestions for general care and maintenance to keep Mares' fins at their best? I am sure it depends on model, but what is the typical lifespan of Mares fins in your experience?

Thanks!

Hi PAC,

Here are a couple of suggestions how to keep your fins in best shape.

• Keep and use the footpocket (shoe tree) in between dives. This will help to maintain shape of the footpocket over time.
  • Quick rinse in fresh water after daily use if there will be extended period of time before use again
  • Definitely keep out of direct sunlight when not in use
  • Try to avoid extreme temperature changes and exposure. IE: Don't store in the trunk of vehicle on a hot day
  • Store fins either flat or hang from the ankle straps
Keep these little tips in mind and you will enjoy a long and productive life of your fins! :)

Happy New Year,

Zak

Zak, thanks for the helpful suggestions -- Happy New Year to you as well!

Hi Zak:

I'm on my 3rd set of Volo Power fins. Each set has separated as the first poster described, where the springy bands reach the end of the fin. I do about 120 dives per year, and each set has lasted me a year, which is not great, but I love the fins so much, I've just been biting the bullet. I hope Mares will address this issue--this is not from pool use, but from mostly California and Caribbean boat diving.

Mel

This problem would most probably be caused by fatigue in the fins "hinges"!

The Mares Volo fins are designed to flex a great deal in order to propel more water backwards and to be used with less effort. Both are good ideas however the "flex" point will over time fatigue and break/separate.

Easy example is to take a piece of wire and just keep bending it....eventually it will just snap!

I'm sure proper maintenance of your dive gear will extend the life of the fins from the effects of chlorine and salt but the fact is the only way to stop them fatiguing at the "flex" point is ultimately unavoidable!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom