Mares Volo Power - quick release not so quick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattporco

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife tried a couple of Mares Volo Power fins yesterday and we found the strap quick release to be extremely difficult to open. The QR has a locking mechanism, but even with it unlocked it took a great deal of force to get it to open (I had trouble and my wife could barely do it).

Has anyone else run into that problem with the Mares Volo Powers? I'm trying to figure out if it is inherent to the design or the QR or maybe we just tried some bad ones.

Thanks for your input.

Matt

I have the Mares Volo Power and yea, I know exactly what you are talking about...They are a bit hard to snap off. I put my thumb on the bottom side of the snap, and use my middle finger to pull back...I've gotten used to it, seems a little easier once they are yours and you get used to them yourself...and they are a little easier to take off in the water than on land...in my opinion...

Jack

I have a pair and while I don't have much to compare them to, yes, they are hard to get off, hard enough that I never bothered locking them. It's kind of a finger buster to open them up. Once on though, they are comfortable and efficient.

I have Dacor fins with a similar system and I have the same issue.
It gets better after a while. I open only one side and I never use the lock.

Can't you just swap them out for spring straps? Really, there's nothing easier than simply pulling your "strap" on and off. Two seconds of work, and almost no fear of them ever breaking.

I have the same fins - same problem. It does get easier, however get cold hands and they can be a real pain to get off at the end of a dive. It does get easier once you own them for a while - and I also never use the lock.

I agree they do seem to get easier with use. Not sure if its breaking them in or the user getting accustomed to them, or perhaps both. They are a nice set of fins, however!

Rainer:
Can't you just swap them out for spring straps?

i second the spring straps. easy to put on and take off, comfortable, and will last forever

Yes, the buckles are hard to open which is both good and bad. I was just looking for some spring straps. It looks like I found some that I will probably get: INNOVATIVE EZ SPRING FIN STRAP

Thanks everyone for the responses. You have definitely helped us out. My wife ordered some Tusa SF-8 splits to try for now. If she doesn't like those we'll probably go with the Volo Powers + spring straps.

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom