Mares Ti Planet and Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

velovp

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I purchased a used Ti-Planet one year ago. Recently added Nitrox certification and have been diving EAN32 and 34. Reading through the Mares technical info on the Ti-Planet, noticed is not Nitrox compatable and in fact, warns not to use enriched air. Q: What are the performance and safety concerns with operating the Ti-Planet with EAN 32 and 34?
Q: Does Mares offer a kit to "convert" the Ti-Planet so that it is Nitrox compatable?
Q: If I continue to dive using EAN mixtures, should I forget the Ti-Planet and buy a newer (Nitrox compatable) regulator?
Thanks!
Velovp

Hi, your question is a little more complicated. If you do a search on the board re: titanium and EAN compatibality you will find many opinions. Our original manuals stated all of our regulators are not nitrox compatible. Today our regulators in the U.S. are Nitrox ready out of the box upto 40%. Any mix with a higher content needs to be converted. Note: in Europe these standards are different. So, having said that you can convert the regulators internal orings / parts to high EAN standards. The question is titatanium. I believe the regulator (I am not 100% familiar with yours) is a titatanium coating and does not have titanium internally. This would greatly reduce the risks of any troubles with nitrox. However, if I make a public statement "I will error on the side of caution and suggest a different regulator". Perhaps if you post your questions in the regulator forum you will find some people with different suggestions.

I hope this helps...

Actually, the Ti-Planet is manufactured from titanium. The first stage body is based upon the discontinued MR16/V16 design minus the outer protective jacket. The HP poppet valve assembly was also produced from titanium.

The second stage was the same design as the discontinued Akros except the metal inserts in the body were made from titanium rather than stainless.

Personally, I would not use the reg for any mixes containing more than 40% oxygen. With that said, I would also convert the first stage over to the tri-material valve assembly, as it is a superior system.

The fact that the body is composed from titanium does not bother me to the extent that the HP valve is. That valve is the center point of adiabatic compression, and being such, a large amount of heat can be generated in a split second. That heat, along with fuel in the form of nitryl O-rings, silicone lubricant, and/or titanium itself can possibly lead to an "interesting" situation. Titanium, if ignited, burns very much like magnesium.

It's not my reg, and I am not encouraging you to use it for EAN. I am merely saying, "If it were mine, I would..."

So...With that said...If it were mine, I would:

1. Disassemble, and ultrasonically clean all the parts of the first stage
2. Visually check for cleanliness under magnification (6X)
3. Replace all O-rings with Viton units
4. Install a new tri-material valve and new, plated brass hard seat
5. Use only oxygen service lubricant, such as Christo-Lube
6. Use similar cleaning procedures with the second stage
7. Perhaps most importantly...Always push the purge button while SLOWLY opening the tank valve. This lessens the adiabatic shock (and heat) to the system, and reduces wear on the internal HP assembly.

And, even with all that, I still would not use it with mixes containing more than 40% oxygen.

BTW, the design of the first and second stages are very dependable and offer great performance. The V16/Akros combination earned the US Navy Class "A" rating.

Greg Barlow

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom