Mares Thermo Guard She Dives: right size!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dagmar

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I have just discovered this sub-forum. It's great that I can post my question here:

I love to snorkel in warm water (e.g. Thailand), but last time I got a very bad bronchitis with high fever, and my doctor advised me to wear something warm in the future when staying in the water for over an hour.
I don't like shorties because I feel uncomfortable in them, that's why I decided to buy a neoprene shirt. I like the look of the Mares She Dives Thermo Guard, and it has got 0.5 mm neoprene. I guess that should be enough for the tropics, right?

Anyway, my problem is the right size: Somebody in this forum wrote that the Mares suits run large, whereas the internet shop from which I might buy told me the opposite! How should I find out the right size for me then?
I am hoping for a member of this forum to be able to give me an advice concerning the fitting. My measurements are:

I am 5 ft. 9.7 inch tall
chest: almost 40 inch
waist: 33 inch

I am wondering whether the L size would fit me or rather XL... (I am a woman.)

I would also like to ask the snorkelers whether a short sleeve rashguard is better than a long sleeve. I prefer a long sleeve, since I don't have to use sun screen on my arms then, but somebody told me that it is more uncomfortable to snorkel with a long sleeve because short sleeves allow more freedom of motion.

I would be grateful for any answer!

Kind regards
Dagmar

Ž« Previous Thread | Next Thread Ž»

I would suggest an XL. Due to the fact you are not using this in cold water, a little big will be more comfortable than something too tight.

I am not a physician, however I don't see a direct correlation to bronchitis and cold water. The thermoguard will definitely keep your body core temperature a little warmer, which will allow you to stay in the water longer more comfortably, reducing risk of hypothermia, fatigue, and various other effects of becoming too cold. The other added benefit is sun block, and also less exposure to various little critters floating by. At the end of the day, it is a good idea to have some exposure protection whether it is for temperature or other reasons. You have chosen a great garment to facilitate this. I am sure you will like it. I wish I was snorkeling in Thailand for hours at a time. Good for you!

Best regards,

Last edited:
Hi Zak.

thanks for your answer!

Do you think I should buy the short sleeve or the long sleeve-version? The long sleeve gives better sun protection, whereas the short sleeves probably allow more freedom of movement. What would you suggest?

And do you know whether there are also matching shorts to the Thermo Guard shirt? I think that would be a perfect combination, almost as good as a shorty (in my imagination).

Kind regards
Dagmar

I don't think you will notice a difference in freedom of movement between short or long sleeve. From the protection perspective I would choose long sleeve.

Mares has nylon (rash guard) shorts (not distributed in N. America) that match the she dives collection. I am not sure where you are located, but some searching around on the internet may help you find them.

Best,

I am from Germany. I found the Trilastic shorts in some internet shops. There are no Thermo Shorts, I suppose, which makes me think:

Is the combination Mares Thermo Guard + Mares Trilastic Shorts almost equivalent to a Shorty (in respect to the warmth it provides), or is there a huge difference? I am asking because I cannot make up my mind whether to buy the combination shirt/shorts, which I prefer, or a shorty, which I don't like.

As mentioned before, I mainly snorkel in the tropics, but even there one can get cold after a while, as has happened to me more than once. And though I don't see a direct correlation either between a bronchitis and slight hypothermia in the water, I am afraid now and willing to wear something warming.
BUT: will the Thermo Guard + shorts be warm enough? Can they be compared to a thin (let's say 1 mm) neoprene shorty? That's the question...

Kind regards

Ok. First, Mares does not offer a 1mm shorty. We do offer the Varadero 1mm full suit which will provide more warmth than the thermoguard + nylon shorts combo you describe. We do offer a 3mm Tropic shorty which will also provide more warmth than the combo previously mentioned. The nylon shorts will offer very little thermo protection, primarily enviornmental only.

I feel if you are really concerned about warmth, you will have to compromise a little comfort and go with the shorty, or 1mm full suit "Varadero". The Thermoguard .5mm shirt long or short sleeve will provide more warmth than the rashguard, and will protect the "core" torso area which is the most important relative to the rest of the body (except the head, but I assume you don't want to wear a hood). At the end of the day you are really talking about nominal differences until you step up into something constructed of thicker material 3mm and greater.

Hope this helps and happy snorkeling,

Hi Zak,

yes, this helps.

Just to make sure that I did not misunderstand you (my English is not perfect): by "nominal" differences you wanted to say that the difference between the thermoguard shirt/nylon shorts combo and a 3mm shorty is not that big?

I think I will stick to my first choice (the combo) in that case.

Kind regards and thanks once more for giving me so much information.
Dagmar

Dagmar,

No, you will most likely find the shorty 3mm to be warmer. The Thermoguard and nylon shorts will be slightly warmer than if you don't have any protection. The 3mm shorty will be even warmer than the thermoguard combo. As with anything the more protection / thickness you wear, you are compromising some level of comfort and range of motion. Although all of the options discussed are not that uncomfortable, in my opinion.

Best regards,

Zak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom