Mares Synchro PowerTech BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gaucho

Reaction score
Hi. Im looking for experiences & comments on this "hybrid" BC. Ive been told its a good combination between wings & regular BC design. Thanks.

I had one but didnt like it.
1. The bladder is setup or big enough for double tanks but the BC is setup for single tanks. What this means is more material, more air, more drag. The air in the bladder tends to roll from side to side because its not designed right or its from it being to big. When the air rolls so do you, so you end up swimming side ways.

2. The intregrated weight pockets were to small for the pouches. They have this plastic insert in the pouch which is for stability for making it easier to put them in the pouches. WRONG! and Right! Wrong because it was a pain in the butt trying to put them in.

Price wise I got it for free because I dive mastered some classes for a shop.

I switched to a Dive Rite Transpack 2. Great for single tanks, crap for doubles.

For the past 2 years I've owned a Halcyon SS backplate\harness and a 55lb bladder for doubles and a 27lb for singles. Ive never been more happier with a BC since I started diving. Thats after owning 5 BC's and trying about 25.
Hope this helps.

I have the synchro power, the non-tech version of this BC. At the store they were comparable in construction, no steel d-rings, no extra roll out pouch and it was last years model. About $100 cheaper and suitable for rec diving.

Don't have much to compare the BC to, but definitely a change from the jacket-type. I like the multiple dump valves, but haven't been in a situation to use the lower two. I have a medium, which I think has a smaller bladder than the large, but suited for rec diving. Haven't experienced the air moving to one side of the bladder, and tipping over. As for two tank configuration, the person in the store said it was compatible.

Overall, I think the BC is great. I've spent two days at a quarry with it and had no problems... well the first dive was a little rough becuase I didn't have weights distributed properly. I moved weights to the back trim pockets and the face forward issue on the surface was resolved. Getting water out of the BC bladder is a pain (the bladder seems to have two champers an upper and lower, so getting water the to inlfator is tough). The IWS takes a little getting used to (open the outside flaps, then pull the handles - this does prevent the weights from inadvertently slipping out). Both of these issues, I can live with and get used to over time.

I've seen the Synchro Power Tech as low as $414, and I purchased my Synchro Power for $324.

Hope this helps.

I have the Power Tech and like it alot. Have not experienced the "roll" effect, but I also wear a medium. I carry (with a 3 mil wetsuit) on each side 3 lbs in trim pocket and 4 lbs in intergrated weight pocket, no problems getting soft weights in.

I primarily use the bottom dumps to get water out - lean from side to side and the bottom dumps do a good job of letting the water drain out.

I have used it with a Pony, but not double 80's. I have a friend with the Synchro Power, the only real differences I can see are mine has stainless D-Rings, his doesn't, and mine has a small rollout goodie pouch.

I've seen the Synchro Power for $299, Tech mostly around $500, but I got mine in LDS for $399.

Thanks to all for your feedback. Im going to try one in Cozumel this weekend and then decide, but Im pretty close to buying one.

Also, does the Power Tech have the integrated second air source (octopus) ??

I didn't get the integrated octo and inflator. Don't think Mares offers that option... and I haven't checked if the "Air source" fits the Synchro's inflator valve.

Hi there,
I'm using the Mares Syncro Power BC. It's fairly new, I've only done about five dives with it, but it seems to be great so far. I can't say I've noticed any rolling problems with it, and when you get up flat on your back when above water, it keeps you quite high, and is much more comfortable than the vest type for surface swimming. There are five air-dump devices, and because the kidney dump toggles are buoyant, it's easy to find them when upside down.
I'm using the large size, and it certainly is large! I'm 6'4", 220lbs and the straps are almost fully tightened; room for a bit of "growth" there!
I have been using 6 lb of weight in the trim pockets, and about 14 lbs in the IWS pockets - 20 lbs total (it seems to have a bit more inherent buoyancy than my rented one did). I wouldn't want to have to walk too far with that and the tank on my back though!
The IWS system actually doesn't need you to pull the top flap first - when you pull the big cylindrical toggles, the velcro peels back as
well, and the weight just falls out (assuming you're not face-up).

Cheers,
ScubaDoobyDoo

Hmmm.... I've played around with the IWS and once it comes off the first set of velcro, the second (flap) don't seem to let go. Maybe I should use less area on the flaps for contact. I'll keep playing around with them.

Glad they are working for some people!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom